TKR Ved293's Right TKR recovery

Ved293

Country
United States United States
I just wanted to give a big "Mahalo" on this posts as I am 7 weeks post-op RTKR. All that I am experiencing at this point in my recovery ties into these threads and my dilemma. I understand it is not a race but time and positive motivation helps me get through even on the die ugly days!

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Ved293! Glad you found us while you are still in the early weeks of recovery!

Please let us know the exact date of your surgery, so we can create an accurate signature for you. That helps others quickly see where you are in recovery.

Like you, I am less than 2 months post-op and I find BoneSmart's Recovery Guidelines really helpful, so I will share them below. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. I've started this recovery thread for you, so please post any updates or questions here.

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
The so called "ugly days" will become fewer and fewer. Give it time. Seven weeks post op is still pretty early in the entire scheme of things. Stay in touch and take care!
@Ved293

Thanks for the info. I've updated your signature with the date.

My surgery (my second knee) was just 6 days before yours, so we are recovery buddies!

Let us know if you have questions or concerns. We are here to help!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Ved293!
I hope you're doing well on your healing journey.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)
@Ved293

Hi @Ved293! Just checking in to see how you are doing since you haven't posted in a while.

Hope your recovery is coming along well. Please let us know when you have a chance.

Hi Ved :wave:
Another month of healing under your belt. I hope you're feeling stronger and steadier on your feet, month by month.
Happy Three Month Anniversary and Happy Spring too! :flwrysmile:
@Ved293

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alabama girl57
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom