THR LTHR 03/22/2024

Two Week anniversary Officially under my belt in about 2 hours from now.
I have very little to complain about, in fact so little that I am not going to bother complaining, or talking about myself , but instead just give thanks to God & to all you caring and giving people on this site, & acknowledge those who are in need due to any problem in their recovery.
To everyone on this site who is enduring any sort of trouble in recovery, my heart yearns for you with each story I read, and I am earnestly praying for each of you to have complete deliverance from anything that currently has you at a standstill.
Remember that your standstill is not a falling back, it is only a temporary pause in your progressing forward .
Forward progress that I am confident you will resume.

Kind Regards & God Bless, Dorsey

Three week anniversary today !
Feeling confident walking around my house without the cane. but still taking the cane with me when I venture out.
My Physical therapist who I have yet to actually have a session with, (1st session will be on the 22nd), but who does not mind at all advising me on what I am doing at home, told me I did the right thing backing off any hip abduction moves when I told him that they seemed flare up my Lateral side which already had what I think is some light IT band pain going on down to my knee. The pain from doing the abductions however has been narrowly located right were I had regular flare ups , pre-surgery from what I believe was bursitis .
Emailed my doctor about it as well but he is off work this week so I will wait to hear back.
Everything I have read about it indicates that if you had a bursitis pre-replacement it will not just go away post-replacement .
It's with you for the duration.
Mine was never what I would call "severe" although at times it flared up enough to make me wince stepping up on stairs.
All in all in seems Like a small price to pay to be rid of the more constant pain from the bone on bone joint that I had.
I would love to know that I will be able at some point to target the lateral muscles which I'm sure became weak through the 4 to 5 years of pain without aggravating the bursitis, but I guess only time & my Dr will tell.

Kind Regards , Dorsey

Thanks for the update, @Dorsey!
Feeling confident walking around my house without the cane. but still taking the cane with me when I venture out.
Very wise! I carried my cane for about six weeks post-op, even when I didn't think I needed it. It's a signal to everyone else to give you space!

You mention IT band and bursitis issues. Here are a couple of articles that might be helpful:
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
Iliopsoas syndrome
Trochanteric Bursitis with THR

Please keep us posted!

I kept my cane by my bed long after I needed it for evening bathroom trips.
I have experienced bursitis on both sides of my hips off & on since surgery. I ice, alternate with heat & massage, seems to help & it goes away.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Dorsey!
I hope you're doing well and you have a wonderful week! :) :-) (:
@Dorsey

Happy One Month Anniversary, Dorsey!
I hope you're doing well and you have a wonderful week! :) :-) (:
@Dorsey
Thank you Layla .
Still have the numbness as pain in the upper thigh but the area seems to be getting smaller each week
But all in all I am doing well and had my first PT appt. Monday and I am okay with them .

They checked all strength in leg in the different directions and the PT always asked to let him know if I felt any discomfort at all with any of the testing.
He said my muscle tone was good considering the surgery.
Then gave me some basic exercises to do,
No bands or ankle weights .
The only thing I heard from them that I disagreed with is they have you fill out a survey of what activities you enjoy which I let them know I like to golf , and they immediately said they were going to work with me to get me back out golfing as soon as possible .
What I will make clear to them in my next visit is the fact that for me it is not that important for me to push myself to do that right away, and that it is also a determination that will be made between me and my Dr, more so than between me and them.
I appreciate their confidence in my recovery but I am determined to go slow.
I have already set a pre-determined date in my mind for when I will give golf a try and it is not until 3 months from now if my Dr. says it's okay.
One new discovery I have made that was a bit of a surprise to me is that looking in a mirror now I have noticed that where I once had a very slight bowing to my leg , it actually looks straighter now.
I believe it has actually made my knee better as well .
I have read up on it and seen where they say that as the healing of the hip takes place over the first year that whatever slight change you see in alignment from the hip surgery will most often revert back to it's original position over time ?
It is a very slight change and it took me this long to notice it, I even had to pull out some pre-surgery photos of myself just to make sure it was not just my imagination . But the photos did confirm it for me.
Have you ever heard this being noticed by any others , I would be curious if they found it was just temporary and
reverted back as the healing took place over time?

Kind Regards, Dorsey

it is not that important for me to push myself to do that right away, and that it is also a determination that will be made between me and my Dr, more so than between me and them.
... I am determined to go slow.
That's the perfect approach to a good recovery: slow and steady!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BrainySmurf
Recent bookmarks