BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Hip for the Holidays

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by jaydub63, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jaydub63

jaydub63

United States United States
    Hi all,

I've been lurking about reading threads for awhile and decided it's time to start my own. I'm scheduled for a LTHR on December 6th.

Initially I was going to wait until spring 2018 to schedule the surgery since I wasn't all that keen on being in recovery mode over the Christmas holidays, but I realized most of my concerns were about what was best for others, rather than best for me. I decided it's not the end of the world if I don't put up a tree and if the presents aren't wrapped just so this year. I'm looking at a new hip as a present to myself!

I was also motivated by the current US administration's commitment to blowing up the US healthcare system, and thought it would be wise to get it done while I know what my benefits are. I have decent insurance through my husband's employer, but who knows what will happen going forward.

I have always been pretty active in sports, and ran track and cross country in high school, and continued running for exercise as well as playing indoor soccer in a recreational league for a number of years. That's when I noticed the first OA symptoms, pain and tightness in my groin that didn't go away after resting. It wasn't that bad at first and I continued to play until the pain progressed and I had to give it up a couple years ago. I've been walking with a limp and know that the longer I go without the surgery the more likely that I'll screw something else up. My right hip so far is healthy with no signs of OA so I'd like to keep it that way. I'm still able to use my exercise bike and elliptical machine, although at very low intensity, and I do weighs/resistance training that doesn't cause pain to stay in shape ahead of surgery. Although walking is painful I find that doing some non-impact physical activity helps with how I feel overall.

My mother had severe OA in multiple joints (but no replacements), my dad had both hips and a knee replaced and two of my siblings have had hip replacements in their late 40's, so it seems to run in my family.

I've got my pre-op appointments scheduled, so now it's just getting through the next several weeks. This forum has been a huge help already in preparing me for the big event!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @jaydub63 What a fabulous Christmas present to yourself - your new hip neatly wrapped up in some meds for the 'after surgery' pain. Not too long now till Dec 6th. Mine is Nov 15th.
    I'm with you on doing non-impact physical activities. Walking was getting too painful for me, but static cycling helps, so do the weights. My trainer keeps a close eye on me so that I'm not overdoing it. Agree with you about this forum, I have learnt so much reading the posts and boy is there so much to learn. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@jaydub63 Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on getting that surgery scheduled. You will soon discover that the waiting is the hardest part.

Having been through this twice I can confirm you won't regret this op. It's all about getting your life back!

• Like Like x 2
  4. jaydub63

jaydub63

@Tomgirl I told my husband he should monitor my internet activity in case I'm doing some on-line Christmas shopping while hopped up on whatever painkillers they give me. Lord knows what I might order. Good luck with your surgery, I'll be sure to follow your recovery.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

@jaydub63 lol I was going to blame the painkillers for all sorts of things.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@jaydub63 We are the same age. I am now officially feeling 20 years younger 6 months out from having my hips replaced.
    Here's to no hip pain:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BoyMom

BoyMom

@jaydub63 that's a good gift to give yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Susan209

Susan209

Australia Australia
    @jaydub63 Welcome to Bonesmart! :) I'm also giving myself a new hip as an early Christmas present (same day as @Tomgirl ).

• Like Like x 2
  9. jaydub63

jaydub63

@Mojo333 that is so inspirational. I am in awe of those of you having 2 done at once. One seems overwhelming enough. I am just really looking forward to getting rid of the pain. Mine is tolerable for the most part, but I'm so over it!!! @Susan209 I'm kind of relieved to have a really good excuse not to host the holiday dinner this year!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. GrannyC

GrannyC

I sort of followed the same path as you @jaydub63 . Last winter I thought I'd just wait until late summer to have my surgery and then my husband suggested I just get it done in the spring and get it over with so I did. It turned out that it was a great decision because as the time got closer, my pain increased quite a bit and by the day of surgery, I was so very ready to get it over with. To loose all that OA pain is unbelievable. I had mine done just a couple days before @Mojo333 and although I only had one done, I, too, can honestly say I feel younger (maybe not 20 years younger :heehee:) and I also feel less tired. It is truly amazing and you will definitely not regret your decision I'm sure. And to top it off, maybe you can enjoy dinner at someone else's house this year!! Best Christmas present ever!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Wish I'd decided to go for mine sooner, knowing what I know now and how it's got more painful, hindsight is wonderful! Hubby does very well not reminding me how stubborn I can be at times. But only 4 weeks to go - for Susan209 also.
    @jaydub63 We are having a very low key Christmas this year, suits us both fine, just over 5 weeks from the op and we will just want to take it easy. I work from home and will really need to get on with some of it but for greatly reduced hours at the desk - that's the plan anyway. Will be quite happy over Christmas just making plans for 2018. Mojo333 and GrannyC 's posts give me so much encouragement and laughs.

12. jaydub63

jaydub63

@Tomgirl @GrannyC I was originally thinking of next spring since the weather would be better for getting out for some short walks during recovery. I live in Michigan and the winters can be pretty brutal with a lot of snow and ice. I'll probably be homebound much of the first month post-op depending on the weather. After the holidays (when I get driving privileges back and the crowds are gone) I can pop over to the local mall and walk indoors if I'm up to it or walk outdoors if the weather permits. I just hate the thought of having to don my winter boots etc.

I work from home too, and my plan is to start back on a part time basis after New Year's. I can set my laptop and cell phone up to work anywhere at home, and my work is flexible enough that I can take the frequent breaks needed to keep walking and getting back to my normal routine. My husband will be home with me for 2 weeks, and then my two college-age kids will be home on their school breaks so I should have plenty of help through December.

Looking forward to the low-key Christmas too. We usually host my husband's family who live in the area - mom and dad, and aunt and her husband. All are in their 80s/90s and not really up for hosting a family dinner anymore. His aunt had her right hip replaced in June and has recovered very nicely, other than some lingering swelling. She barely had any pain after her procedure and only took ibuprofen. She's in her mid-80's - I can only hope to do as well!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. jaydub63

jaydub63

7 weeks from today...but who's counting lol! I received my pre-op documents in the mail today, and 2 weeks until I attend the "hip" class. It's starting to feel like this is really gonna happen. I'm sure I'll be anxious closer to the surgery date but right now it just feels good to know the process is in motion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

@jaydub63 Yes it's good to get the date, makes it all seem more real. The next 7 weeks will fly by. Yesterday, just as I was going out for my gym session I got a call from the hospital to say they had me booked in for 15th Nov, but they now had a cancellation if I was interested for TODAY! Unfortunately had to decline their offer as I was no-where near having my work sorted out. My recovery time would be seriously at risk if I was worrying what work I had not completed. Such is life. I actually feel less worried as it's getting nearer probably because concentrating on what needs to be done before 15th. I'm a great 'list maker' and this is making me feel a bit more in control. Are you still able to use the exercise bike and the weights? I had a good session yesterday, my trainer knows only 4 weeks to go so is just concentrating on maintenance of what I can do already, but nothing new or anything that causes pain. I just enjoy it so much.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. jaydub63

jaydub63

@Tomgirl yes I am still trying to get in some exercise about 5 days a week and aim to keep it up until my surgery date if I can. I work with a trainer one day a week at a gym, and we've gone away from much leg work in favor of maintaining upper body strength and core work that doesn't irritate my hip. She's been really good about modifying exercises for me. I've worked with her for several years, so she has seen the decline in what I've been able to do because of the hip and has been very encouraging about getting the surgery, even though she's going to lose me as a client for a few months anyway lol. I never thought I would be sad not to be able to do a burpee, but here I am.

I find that some gentle pedaling on the bike really helps loosen up my hip and hopefully is maintaining a little bit of muscle strength. It's been so long since I've really worked up a sweat during a workout and I miss that feeling.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. jaydub63

jaydub63

I'm starting to think about what I need to get my house "recovery ready" and have a question about bathrooms. For bathing I have either a tub/shower in our guest bath or a stall shower in my bedroom bath. The challenge is that neither bathroom is very big. The stall shower has a small built-in bench, but it's hardly big enough for one butt cheek to fit on and too low for post-surgery restriction and the shower door width is too narrow for a walker to walk into it. The tub/shower has a little more space, but not much. I figure we'll be getting a bath bench for the tub/shower until I feel confident standing for a few minutes in the stall shower (and maybe add some grab bars to the stall shower). I'm interested in how others may have tackled these issues. How soon post-op did you feel up to standing for a shower unsupported?

17. Gretel

Gretel

Australia Australia
    @jaydub63 I’ve just had my first unsupported shower today. It’s two weeks and three days post op bilateral hips. I’m a little shaky after it!

• Like Like x 1
  18. jaydub63

jaydub63

@Gretel Woohoo! Congratulations! I suppose it's all about making slow steady progress everyday. I'll bet you'll feel more confident for the next one. I am mystified as to how I will dry my feet until I can bend over.

19. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

@jaydub63 That first shower post op just sounds so lovely, but from what I've read from others after the shower it's back to bed as it's pretty exhausting. Hadn't thought much about drying feet but I have got one of those foot cleaner/massager things that's lovely for cleaning feet. We had our bathroom done about 2 years ago and now have large walk-in shower and grab rails put in so that will be ok. I think by the time I get back from shower to bed my feet will be dry enough for me not to care. It's amazing all the things around the house that might cause problems, I keep looking at what's in the bottom of cupboards and drawers and am I likely to need what's there. Just hope the 'learning curve' isn't too steep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jaydub63

jaydub63

@Tomgirl It's more than a little bit horrifying to me that the simple act of taking a shower will exhaust all my energy, but I suppose that only lasts for a short while. I am picky about dry feet as I tend to develop cracks between my toes if they remain moist for awhile. I'll probably impose on my husband to dry them for me until I figure something out. I already warned him he'll probably have to cut my toe nails a few times. My daughter is a biomedical engineering student, so perhaps I can get her to design an assistive device for this purpose lol! She wanted me to ask my surgeon if she could observe my operation but I declined.

• Useful Useful x 1