Revision THR Hip replaced, maybe looking at revision?

Hairtoys

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, again, thank you for your support getting me to this point.

My surgery was eventful, Dr got in there and found extensive damage along with a lot of debris. He asked me how I even walked on it? (I limped terribly)

My femur split sometime during surgery so he had to open my leg up to "band" it. I have a 12" incision that looks like Frankenstein (UGLY)

I suffered violent post-anesthetic shivering which freaked me out!! I couldn't stop shaking.

After hospital, went to rehab facility for a week. (Top notch place, I was thankful). So, I'm home, I have pt starting 3 x week. Things seem to be healing and I'm getting stronger. Things were going great till last night. I scooted up in bed and my hip popped out of socket in front! It hurt like hell, I relaxed and pushed down on it and it popped back in. That's not a good sign. I'll probably need surgery to tighten it up. Ugggg!!

If something can go wrong with me it will....

Anyone know if there's a chance I won't need revision to tighten it up? I will call Dr this morning. I'm worried what he's going to tell me.

Hi @Hairtoys
I've wondered how you were doing...
Wow, you've been through a lot. I'm sorry for that.
@Josephine may be able to shed some light on your situation.
Best wishes and prayers that you get answers soon and can get on with healing.
Please stay in touch.....we'll be here for encouragement.

My femur split sometime during surgery so he had to open my leg up to "band" it.
That was careless of him! No need for that. In my 50+ years of doing joint replacements, I've only known a handful of such cases.
I suffered violent post-anesthetic shivering which freaked me out!! I couldn't stop shaking.
Just to reassure you, it's nothing to do with the anaesthetic - it's often referred to as that because it occurs after the anaesthetic! But in fact, it's just a loss of body temperature caused by your having had to spend an excessive about of time in the OR (which is air-conditioned with rather chilly air!) and of having had the incision extended to an excessive degree thereby allowing greater loss of body heat and evaporation of fluid from the exposed tissues. I trust that they wrapped you up snugly in a warm air inflated blanket and ramped up the IV fluids as well? That's all you needed. Plus a lot of reassurance of course!
my hip popped out of socket in front! It hurt like hell, I relaxed and pushed down on it and it popped back in.
Well you can rest easy in that it wasn't an actual dislocation but just a subluxation because otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to get it back in.
That's not a good sign. I'll probably need surgery to tighten it up.
I doubt it. Subluxes don't often end up with a revision but you will need an xray to ensure there is no malalignment of either implant because that's the usual cause of both a sublux and a dislocation.

Thank you for your caring replies
I have since seen my Dr's assistant. He wasn't very concerned about my joint popping out so easily.
I was just laying in bed doing my butt tightening exercises, and my joint is clicking with each small squeeze. I think it's too loose . It is not painful, but, I'm very worried. I'm afraid to do very much except to walk and a few exercises that doesn't cause that clicking.
I'm a tall girl, over 5'10" and I've read tall or very large people have more problems with hip replacements. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you for your time
Eve

Oh, I forgot to tell you. My excruciating arthritis pain is gone now! I want this new hip to be a success.

Hi Eve @Hairtoys
Losing that arthritis pain is so wonderful!
Probably no one on this forum will have a better answer to your questions than @Josephine so let's allow her a shot at your latest concerns.
Best wishes for a good weekend.

my Dr's assistant... wasn't very concerned about my joint popping out so easily.
Well he's a nitwit then! Can you get to see your surgeon himself?
It is not painful, but, I'm very worried. I'm afraid to do very much except to walk and a few exercises that doesn't cause that clicking.
Of course you're worried. Anyone would be under the circumstances. But I would suggest you stick with the BoneSmart advice and do NO exercising at all! You really don't need it anyway. Just a few short walks each day.

BTW, we don't have your date of surgery which is germane to offering you advice.

I've read tall or very large people have more problems with hip replacements.
Well I'm 6'5" and about 330 pounds and my OS said I wouldn't have a problem and so far I don't. I don't believe size has a lot do with the outcome of a THR.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Surgery on my right hip was on Oct. 10, 2017.
I forgot I switched from pre surgery forum to post surgery forum without giving you my info. Sorry...
Yes, I'm going to see if I can get appt with my surgeon. It was difficult to get an appt with him even before my surgery. My surgeon only has 9 yrs under his belt. But the 40+ positive reviews I found on him helped me decide on him.
I am so grateful I found all of you

@Hairtoys it is still very early days for you. I would wait and let that new hip settle a bit more. The muscles and tendons will tighten around the joint again. But this takes time.

Limit your exercise to just walking. Ice and elevate as often as you can.

I see no one left you your recovery articles. I'll leave them here for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Hairtoys Hi! Going through the forum I realized I had not seen a post from you recently. Anxious to hear how you are progressing in your recovery. You had a bit of a bumpy ride at first. Hope all is going well.

Hello BeBe, not so swell..

I saw my surgeon this morning. My hip keeps dislocating and I'm scheduled for revision Nov 14. I've told Dr from the beginning it feel loose and clicks. So after the 2nd time it popped out he finally took me seriously.

When I say it popped out of my groin, I'm holding the ball in my hand and pushing it back into place, that should have been a red flag the first time I told him about it...

I'm so stinking depressed, I had plans to fly to WI to meet my new granddaughter Dec 16 for a week. I told Dr how this has really messed up my life, he made my surgery date lickety split and said I'd be healthy enough to fly back in Dec. I'm not so sure..

He told me the xrays look fine except for the operated leg is slightly shorter. Said he will fix that and move the liner forward a bit.. He also said while I'm "out" he's going to put my leg in different positions to make sure it doesn't do this again.

Why didn't he do that in the first place? Grrrrr....

Anyway, sorry for dumping / ranting...
Thank you for caring BeBe,
Eve

Hmmm, should I be on the pre-surgery forum? Or am i special and can continue here?
I also have a picture of my xray from today if anyone is interested? Or is that not a good idea?

Hi Eve, Congrats on the new granddaughter. Babies are such a blessing. Love smelling their sweet little heads! Not sure if she's arrived yet....

I am so, so sorry you need a revision only a month after your original surgery. I can't even imagine what you've described. Popping out like that had to be frightening, I'd feel somewhat depressed myself.

Are you 100% comfortable going through this again with the same surgeon who's responsible for the anxiety
and pain you've suffered over this? I know I wouldn't be. I guess I'm not clear on why he couldn't get this right the first time. Would you consider asking Josephine to weigh in on the pros / cons of going with the same surgeon for the revision? You may find her opinion worthwhile given her expertise.

Prayers for a successful revision and for your comfort as you wait.... @Hairtoys

You're special! You should stay on this side (post op) in my estimation.
Feel free to post an x-ray if you'd like. We all learn through these experiences.
Sorry it has to be you experiencing it.....@Hairtoys

Hi Layla,
Thank you, Cassandra was born April 4th, I haven't met her yet as I could hardly walk before surgery.
I don't have any better choices of surgeons who take my insurances. I'm limited to 4. The other 3 had pretty bad reviews... Not sure another surgeon would want to fix another surgeons mistakes?
I tried to upload xray screenshot, but says it's too large.

Hi Eve @Hairtoys
Such a pretty name...Cassandra, I love it. I'm sorry you are so limited in choices. We can only pray
that the surgeon gets it right this time so you can truly begin to recover and get on with your life,
I am sorry you have to do this. It's one of those things we all fear and a handful experience firsthand.
Please know we're here to listen and encourage should you want to vent or just need to be uplifted.
You don't have long to wait or think about the whole process, that's a blessing.

There are a couple others on here that are scheduled for surgery the day after you. I enjoy their posts and you may as well....possibly you are already familiar with them. They are @Susan209 and @Tomgirl. I enjoyed following others who had surgery within a couple weeks of me while in recovery.

I will remember you in prayer for a successful revision as well as comfort and peace of mind in the days leading up until Tuesday.

Please stay in touch, we'd love to be here for you....

Hi @Hairtoys Wow you've certainly been through it, Not sure how I'd react with something 'popping out', suppose we just don't know till it happens. Hope your revision goes well and you get to see Cassandra soon. And so glad to read your arthritic pain has gone. Take care.

You’ve certainly had a rough road! Hopefully surgery goes well this time and then on the road to recovery. I’m sorry you haven’t gotten to meet your granddaughter but you will soon enough. It will be nice to hold her and carry her without the worry of hip pain. She will be right there waiting for you. Sending positive healing thoughts your way!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts