BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

LTHR coming up Dec 7th. Looking for post op helpful ideas

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by smstok, Dec 4, 2017.

1. smstok

smstok

United States United States
    I’m counting down the hours to surgery day and feeling super scared. I have read through so many of your stories but then I stopped reading for awhile since I️ think I️ was fuelling my anxiety.

I think I’m a little over anxious since the surgeon informed me my surgery will be a little more complicated due to my hip dysplasia. My leg will definitely be longer until the right hip is done (unknown when that will happen). I am super stressed about the leg length difference.

I have read through Josephine’s information SEVERAL times to get it locked in my head.

I Have my recliner on a raise platform, lots of pillows and ice, medicines ready (Norco and Celebrex), pathways in the house are cleared and the walker is set up. I’m trying to prepare mentally for the first few days of a different kind of intense pain but looking for helpful hints from anyone that had something significant work for them during the recovery process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. MammaT

MammaT

Since I live alone I put things I use regularly t counter level, got paper plat etc so I didn’t have to worry about dishes. Even if you have a dishwasher, there is loading and unloading. I stocked up on some frozen meals so I could microwave easily. I had a tray that fit over top of walker so I could carry things from room to room. Had shower chair set up with shampoo etc. in little baskets. Had a table each side of recliner with charger and computer and phone. I also bought some extra sweats/shorts so I didn’t worry about laundry (it’s in my basement). Pretty normal to be scared. I’m certain there are folks on here who can speak to lld and there are several i’ve read who have had the dysphasia. A woman I work with had one of her hips replaced 20 years ago due to that and has no problems.

Keep us posted on your progress- don’t hesitate to ask questions or vent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Welshgirl

Welshgirl

Cyprus Cyprus
    Hi @smstok
    It's totally natural to be so anxious and stressed before your surgery. As you say it's the unknown and worry about the outcome. I think we have all gone through that. I am coming up to two months post op RTHR. Believe me I had So many mixed emotions, questions and second guessing right up to the morning of surgery! However here I am 2 months out on the 'better' side and thrilled with the way it's all turned out :0)
    As you have read lots of Josephine's info pages you will know that keeping on top of your medication is crucial along with icing!
    On a different side I found listening to guided meditations on my iPhone really relaxing and helped with the sleepless nights!
    Try not to worry too much, easy said than done I know!
    Best wishes to you and look forward to seeing you on the recovery threads :0)
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @smstok I had dysplasia in both hips and can't say my surgery was any more complicated than any other THR. Dysplasia is one of the most common reasons please have THR. Yes, I had a slight leg length difference (LLD) post my LTHR. But once I had the other hip replaced it was corrected.

Just remember your surgeon and the team helping him do this everyday, several times per day. They are experts and will do everything they can to ease your anxiety.

5. smstok

smstok

Thank you Welshgirl! The guided meditation idea is a great one! I️ will definitely try it. Thank you so much! . Glad to hear you are thrilled with the end result. Thank you so much for sharing

• Like Like x 1
  6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

But he meant for him, not for you! Remember, for you this is a big, once in a life time, life changing event.

For him, it's just another day at the office! Dysplasia notwithstanding!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. smstok

smstok

Aww. Thanks for the input MammaT. I️ truly appreciate it. Luckily I️ will have my fiancée here the first 4 days. After that he returns to work so I️ will be here alone all day. I’ll be sure to get those things out on the counter top. Thank you for responding with some good tips

8. smstok

smstok

Thank you Jaycee. That is what i keep telling myself about my surgeon and his team. I️ feel very confident with them and hav been told over and over just how great he/they are. I was pretty excited about FINALLY getting “fixed” until he mentioned the definite leg length difference. Currently I️ walk with a pretty bad limp that I️ am super embarrassed of yet don’t allow for it to slow me down too much. People constantly stop and ask me about it or mention how much it hurts them to see me walk. So needless to say I️ was excited about the probability of walking somewhat normal again until the leg length difference changed all of that. I’m trying to remain positive though since they tell me this will relieve all the daily pain I️ have with my whole left side at this point.

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

If your leg length difference effects your walking a lift in your shoe should correct it very easily. Wait about 3-4 months post op for things to balance before seeing a podiatrist or physio to measure your leg length.

Post op most everyone feels a LLD. But in many cases this just fades with time. Here's an article from our Library on LLD: Leg length differential - LLD.

10. smstok

smstok

Excellent point Josephine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. hikejunkie

hikejunkie

For guided meditation I use the Headspace app. I think it’s great. You can access some for free but then need a subscription for the other packs - there’s one on pain management, another for stress, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. smstok

smstok

Thank you hikejunkie. I will be sure to download that tonight

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 6:07 AM
  13. SaraK

SaraK

Good luck with your surgery - let us know how youre doing. If you post in the December Supernova file, you'll bee added to our recovery group. One of the admins can also help you add your surgery info to your signature.

14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thinking of you. Hoping all will hook well. Bye bye hip pain....post when you can.:angel:

15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: @smstok
    Wishing you well today. It's going to be good!
    Recovery moves quickly, you'll be surprised.
    Start a thread on the recovery side when you're able.
    We'll be waiting to cheer you on :yes!:

16. hikejunkie

hikejunkie

17. pkuznets

pkuznets

@smstok
    Keeping you in my thoughts today and hoping all goes well. I’m not far behind you...3 days to be exact. This forum will keep you in the loop!
    Blessings,
    Patrikya

18. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:welome: to the healing side.
    This is the rough stuff...but all temporary.
    Hope pain is managed and you are being well taken care of.
    Healing hugs:friends:

19. smstok

smstok

Awww. Thank you pkuznets. This is my first chance to get on here. Ive been super sleepy with the medications and keeping up with getting up to move and little and small amounts of physical therapy movements to prevent blood clots. I’m feeling fairly well considering. Mostly sore so keeping up with meds and ice is definitely key like everyone else has stated. I️ went into surgery at 3 on Friday and home by 4 on Saturday. Seems so unusual

• Like Like x 3
  20. pkuznets

pkuznets

That’s nothing short of amazing! My surgery is at 7 a.m., so maybe I’ll get to come home the next day by noon? Fingers crossed Are you keeping up with the pain meds and ice routine? How’s it working?
    Nervous and curious here in California
    Patrikya

• Like Like x 2