rbabycks pre op thread

rbabycks

TKR January 25, 2018
Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for a knee replacement in January, will know the date October 25 when I see the surgeon. I would have scheduled ASAP but already have plans for FL for Xmas with my granddaughter and family. I was given a brace to get me through the holidays.

I have had two knee surgeries to repair meniscus tear and remove cyst which continues to develop as soon as one is removed. After five years of repairs to the knees the left knee has wore out. No cartilage and very painful osteoarthritis which has interfered with my activities of daily life.Being very active the left knee has put a complete hold on my life.

I found a great online support group when I had my tonsils removed in 2013. So many things I learned online that DRs don’t tell you. Any input from real people who have had or going through a knee replacement would be greatly appreciated.

I should be used to surgeries as I have had quite a few since 2012 from broken foot, tonsillectomy, two knee surgeries, bladder reconstruction, many breast biopsies, a thumb reconstruction, hysterectomy, ovaries, appendix, being 63 I should be use to surgeries and anesthesiologist.

But, anybody having to go through any type of surgery is scary minor or major unless you like being cut on. I never look forward to any type of surgery but tired of constant pain! Any input I would definitely appreciate.

welcome 134.jpg
@rbabycks, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. As you can see, I have moved your post from the January surgery list thread in to a thread of your own here in the knee replacement pre op forum where you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

When you get an actual surgery date for January, we should post in the January surgery list thread giving your surgery date and asking to be put on the list.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I’m sure this will make my surgery less Stressful. I definitely may need to vent at times.

You're in the right place to ask questions about, and find out more about, total knee replacement. Everyone here either has had, or will soon have, this surgery.

I found BoneSmart while looking for more information about my upcoming surgery. The wealth of information on the site enabled me to ask more focused questions of my surgeon and also helped me set up my home for recovery. Things like how to elevate, ways to ice your knee(s), and the absolute importance of... high toilets. Going into surgery knowing what to expect and knowing you are well-prepared for recovery takes away lots of the fear. Not all of it, of course. But I felt very peaceful going into surgery.

Best of all, when I came out of it my horrible arthritis pain was gone. :egypdance:

Here's some reading to help you along. Be sure to check out the stories of Amazing Knee Recoveries!

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

Hello @rbabycks and :welome:

We'll be here, to help and support you through your surgery and recovery.

Knee replacement is major surgery and you will probably find that recovery is more tedious and slower than recovery from your previous surgeries. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and complete recovery can take as long as a full year, although you will feel much better long before that.

Initially, you will have pain, but that pain gets better as you heal, unlike the awful bone-on-pain you have now.
Plan to take all the time your knee needs, so it can recover at its own pace. If you're still working, we recommend planning to take about 12 weeks off work, and then a Phased return to work

I'll give you a copy of the post-op reading, so you have a chance to absorb the recommendations and the articles:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello Celle. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I so appreciate all the information especially the before during and after. I also had back surgery last year and 8 weeks later surgery on the left knee which is the knee that is going to go through the knee replacement. I’ve had two disc surgeries which was eight weeks of a metal brace around my neck which I thought was horrible also the tonsillectomy was a hard surgery to go through especially being an older adult. No ice cream and a lot of pain from the 3RD day to the 10TH day. My ENT doctor did warn me he never sugar coated it. I guess I’m apprehensive because I’ve heard horror stories but then some are glad they had the surgery and wished they had done it sooner. I guess it depends on your health in general which I like to think mine has been good up until the knee problems. I have been very active in the past until about a year ago. I’m so afraid I won’t get back to the things I did two years ago. I am diabetic which I am slower to heal. I do already have a good support group plus my family and good friends who are trying to keep my spirits up. I am planning to sign up for a class for the knee replacement I feel the more educated I am before the surgery the better I hope to heal. I went to a class for my back surgery which helped greatly. I believe there should be a class for all major surgeries. It also educates your family so that they know what to expect. It really helps my husband understand what I am going through. I appreciate all the wonderful support here on bonesmart. I’m glad I found this site. I know as the surgery date gets closer I’ll want to vent or just have someone who understands and has been through what I will be going through it will definitely help I’m sure. Thank you again.

I have a question I am having a rough time with. After knee surgery I have been told I will be in the hospital for 2-4 days depending on how I do. My concern is rehab, I am not one for wanting to be away from home especially when it’s time for bed. I realize I will need therapy which I have a physical therapist which I have had for all my past surgeries. I have been going to the same physical therapy center for the past 17 years. They have always put me back together from my neck to my toe. I have been told going to rehab for 2-4 weeks would be a good option because I would get more therapy plus round the clock attention but, I know I will get very little rest while in the hospital plus I don’t sleep well when in unfamiliar surroundings. I also worked as a Nurse for 24 years some of the facilities I worked for the care apauled me. The patients were ignored and mistreated! I know that I would be alert and aware of what’s going on around me but just from what I had seen in my past carrier concerns me. I think I’m more afraid because my father went from the hospital to rehab which was suppose to be just a few weeks he never came home. He past 3 weeks later. Now I would prefer in home health care for several reasons 1- I’m in my own environment and would be able to rest better and in my own bed which my husband and I both don’t sleep well without the other. I know I will probably only get 3 days of therapy a week verses 7. Plus I plan to go to my regular therapist just as soon as possible. I think in home I will do better because I’ll get better rest which should help heal faster and better. I would appreciate any input I can get on this matter. Thank you.

I guess I have a lot of questions now that I see other people with the same concerns as I do. I am seeing the surgeon Wednesday October 25. I wanted to plan surgery ASAP to get it over instead of the anticipation of what’s to come. I normally worry more and find more things to worry about the longer I wait to have surgery. The reason for waiting is my husband and I have had prior plans since last July to spend Xmas with family in Florida. My question is if I elect to get surgery ASAP or in November the beginning of the month how safe would flying be to Florida but then drive for 4-4 1/2 hours of course in a comfortable suv. It would only be maybe about 6 weeks post op provided I have surgery the first part of November. My second question how would I be able to get around? I want to be able to keep up a little bit with grandkids for the week of Xmas. Or should I just wear the brace the dr prescribed for me until I get back? At least the brace helps somewhat with the pain and it’s only temporary.

moved 12.jpg
@rbabycks, from the January surgery list into your personal thread. The surgery list is just for keeping up with who is having surgery the same month as you. Any questions, concerns or observations you have should be posted here. Thanks for your cooperation.

Hello again @rbabycks

Since you're only having one knee replaced, there should not be any need to go to a rehab place.
Before you leave hospital, you will be shown how to get out of bed and back in again, how to walk to the bathroom and back, and how to negotiate stairs and steps. You should also be on a medication regime that controls your pain adequately.

It sounds as if you will have plenty of support once you get home, too, so I can't think of any benefit if you go to rehab. In any case, some rehab places aren't the best for recovering from knee replacements - some overdo the physical therapy, and others are more like rest homes. It pays to check them out before your surgery, if you are thinking of going to one.

You mention physical therapy and I know that you will have been told it's important. However, the most important thing is to treat your new knee gently and allow it time to heal. A TKR is major surgery and it causes a lot of trauma. I can't think of any reason why it would be a good idea to stress that wounded knee by adding demanding exercises. You need a PT therapist who is prepared to consider your knee individually and not try to apply one-size-fits-all therapy to it. Therapy that is over-ambitious and demanding does more harm than good.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM (Range of Motion) - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Many of us here on BoneSmart didn't go to PT, but successfully rehabbed our knees on our own.
My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house and garden.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

I followed his protocol for my Revision to TKR, but for my last TKR (the other knee) I didn't go to PT at all. I just let my normal activities of daily living be my therapy. Both my knees are strong and reliable and I can do anything I want to with them. They straighten fully and bend to over 125 degrees.

I know there's often great emphasis laid on the need to do PT, so If you go to PT and find a therapist who will be gentle and not set artificial deadlines for your knee, stick with her/him. Just set your own limits on what you will accept - no pain (only discomfort), no over-exercising, no pushing or pulling on your knee, no forcing your knee, no weights, only mini-squats, and no ROM deadlines.

I've moved you post about the timing of your surgery from the thread about flying soon after surgery. I know you mentioned flying, but I think you were also thinking about the rest of the journey as well.
My question is if I elect to get surgery ASAP or in November the beginning of the month how safe would flying be to Florida but then drive for 4-4 1/2 hours of course in a comfortable suv. It would only be maybe about 6 weeks post op provided I have surgery the first part of November.
Honestly, I think you'd be pushing it to travel so far, so soon after this major surgery.
I don't know how long your flight would be, but if it is short, you could probably manage it.
However, adding those hours travelling in a SUV after the flight will make you very uncomfortable. Even if you travel in the back seat, sitting sideways, with your leg elevated and iced, you will get stiff and sore. You need to stop about every hour, to get out and walk a little, because you will get so stiff - so your journey will take much longer.

I did a car journey that normally takes about 4 hours, 4 weeks after my TKR, and it took us over 6 hours. I was still very uncomfortable. I wouldn't have done it, except it was my only opportunity to see a new baby granddaughter who would only be in our country for 2 days - normally, she lives in the UK.

My second question how would I be able to get around? I want to be able to keep up a little bit with grandkids for the week of Xmas. Or should I just wear the brace the dr prescribed for me until I get back? At least the brace helps somewhat with the pain and it’s only temporary.
By about 6 weeks, you may still be using a walker, but you could be using just a cane by then. It all depends on your knee and how safe you feel, walking with a stick. You should still be spending most of your time resting, icing and elevating, so you won't be able to do a lot with the grandchildren. I found I was most in demand for reading stories, when the other adults were busy.

My grandchildren were very solicitous of "Nanna's sore knee", and they accepted I couldn't do as much with them as they would have liked.

On the whole, if it were me, I'd keep the January surgery date.

Thank you so much for all your input. You have helped me so much already and I’m still over 2 months out from surgery. With all the information here I’m sure I should be well prepared when my surgery date comes. I definitely appreciate any other information I should and should not do,do’s & don’ts.

You might be up to travel, but will find it challenging. Airline seats are not the best for TKR early on. They’re spaced horribly. So if you fly, get an aisle seat and get up to walk about the plane a bit. Arrange for wheelchair transport at the airport,too, as you won’t be up to long walks in the terminal and concourses. Just a reminder, because you got good airport info earlier.

A four hour drive will be pushing it also. Make stops often to walk about, which will ease your discomfort. Walking helps your circulation and keep down the swelling in your knee. Ice on the drive.

You can do lots with the grandchildren... from your chair. Have them sit with you and draw or color. Or you can read to them, or tell stories. They will welcome the chance to show off to their grandmother. Just be careful about them getting rambunctious and jumping on you. :bignono: Great fun for them, but not good for you!

moved 5.jpg
from the January surgery list thread into your own pre op thread. When you have your surgery date, then please post in the January surgery list thread so you can be added to the list. Thanks, bottomshollow

First appointment with surgeon last Wednesday 10/25/17. Waiting for the MRI to be scheduled to fit my prosthesis. Will be scheduling the surgery date soon. The measurements for the artificial knee takes 4-5 Weeks toco e back to the surgeon. In the meantime I am going to see the dental surgeon to set up a surgery date to remove a molar. I definitely do not want any type of infection before during or after knee surgery. My husband and I have signed up for a seminar on TKR in December just before leaving for Florida for Xmas. The knee surgeon thinks getting away before surgery will help the anxiety. I was given a knee brace to get me through the week in Florida which will help when I walk any length of time. I am ready to have the surgery and get on with life that I have missed out on these last 2-3 years. Trying to mask the pain with steroids pain medication and two surgeries to remove cyst. I am still nervous even though I’ve had many other surgeries. I think anybody ever wants to go under the knife without good reason to. I hate the anesthesia most, once that kicks in I no longer have control over my body. That actually scares me more than the surgery. But once I’m out I know when I wake it’s over, then starts the healing process. Here’s hoping 2018 will be a better year and better health. I know as time gets closer I will need more support. In the meantime i want to educate myself as much as possible. The more I know the easier and hopefully the faster I’ll heal. I am so glad the hospitals have started educational classes for major surgeries, it has really helped understand the whole process before during and after the procedure. Especially taking a spouse they see what we are about to go through which makes them understand what we are going through. I’m sure as time goes on I’ll have more questions from anyone who has already had the surgery as well as those who are waiting in anticipation like me. It’s nice to know there’s a place to turn to for advice comfort or just when we need a lift or someone to listen. Thank you all in advance.

You will hear many say that you have to do your PT or your knee won't work. That's baloney. Many of us never took PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals, with no kneecaps put back in, and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard. This was enough therapy and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary. All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! ADL,(activities of daily living), will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you will have a quicker and less painful recovery.

Painful PT sets your recovery time back. It hurts because it inflames your already traumatized tissues that you have from the tkr. When those tissues are inflamed they react with swelling and pain. When you are swollen, you can't bend your knee much. PT tends to think if you keep on pushing it to bend, it'll improve. It will not, it will swell more. If you follow the BS way to recovery, you will have a much quicker and less painful time of it!

Thank you for your e-mail. I definitely appreciate all the information I can get. It helps not going into surgery blinded. It also helps to hear other experiences. It helps somewhat with the anxiety. I’m sure by the time my surgery date comes around I will have a lot more information to help me through a better recovery. Thank you .

First I’m not sure which forum this should be place in? Being this website is from all over the world. I was wondering if there is anyone in the VIRGINIA area who has had a TKR done by DR Morina within the last year? I know it’s a long shot but I was hoping being this site is from all over I thought it was worth a try.

@rbabycks, I have moved the above post from the November surgery list thread back into your personal thread. You are much more likely to get a response here as many more folks will read personal threads than will read the surgery list threads.

I had an abscessed tooth removed prior to surgery. My surgeon was very happy I’d planned for that, and yours will be too. I hope you’re reading some of the recovery threads, including the Amazing Knee Recoveries that were included in your welcome pack. I found lots of inspiration and reassurance reading about how other people recovered from their knee surgeries. Definitely helped me plan for my own.

Also, ask questions, because people here will be happy to answer and help you. :)

Hi @rbabycks, I'm from Virginia. I had my tkr with Dr. Hull with Tuckahoe Othro. He is wonderful, and most important to me, a Christian! That was a must for me. I looked up Dr. Morina and see that he specializes in sports medicine along with joint replacement. You need to make sure he doesn't expect your PT to be like a sport's injury with aggressive therapy. Be sure to find out, and then let him know that you will not be doing anything aggressive for rehab. Only gentle PT is needed for your knee.

Thank you again for all the wonderful advice. I have done quite a bit of research on this upcoming surgery I’ve even looked at videos. As a Nurse now retired always think I can handle almost anything except when it comes to family or it happening to my own self.DR Morina is a straight up to the point no sugar coating type. As a Nurse I know there are very few DRs with a good bedside manner. I would rather have a good surgeon than worry how his mannerism is after surgery being I hope not to see him to many times anyway. Although I have tried seeking DRs with good personality and that care about their patients. I seem to have had great DRs especially when I had back surgery,DR Rodrigue Norfolk General Hospital she is also a brain surgeon, never had any pain. Healed beautifully. I’ve been very fortunate to select excellent DRs thus far. Hopefully I selected another professional one. This is major surgery and we only get one of everything that we were born with. Once we wreck those parts we get either artificial or someone or something else, I still remembered my bladder reconstruction the surgeon used pig gutt. Cadaver parts are not used in that case anymore. At any rate the pig is still holding 14 years so far. I still have a couple of months to gather knowledge and all this great information I’m receiving here. By my surgery date I hope to have enough information to get through it properly and a speedy recovery. I appreciate all you input and knowledge being it sounds like you have been through several knee surgeries. Right now I am doing PT in hopes the stronger I am the better the recovery and I’m doing upper strength exercises being I will be using my upper body quite a bit. I have had wonderful physical therapist with all my past surgeries. I have gone to the same location for every surgery I’ve had. So far they have done a great job in getting me back to normal. Thank you again for your response.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom