Soon to have a TKR

Texaslady

Country
United States United States
I am having my surgery for TLKR on August 31. This is not my first, I had right THR last August 8 2016 but the closer it gets the more nervous I am!

Something's have changed health wise for me since then. I have become insulin dependent due to the pancreas is not putting out insulin - mainly because I only have a eighth of one so now it has gotten worse.

My OS seems everything is a go, all my blood work came back good. Will update hopefully after the surgery taking my IPad with me.

Texaslady, I had my surgery on August 16. They kept a close eye on my sugar levels. I was surprised that they went up, because I have been diet controlled for 2 years. Prior to the diet control, I was never very high usually my highest was 130. So your readings may be higher than the normal for you, but they will take care of you. I was given insulin every time I was over 150. You will be given your needed dosage. Since I left the hospital, my sugar is going down. Good luck with your surgery. We will all be here for you.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! I have my first of two scheduled for Nov and right now feel ok. I think once it is closer to time though, I will be nervous.

Blood sugar levels can go up after surgery. I found that out to my surprise when I developed diabetes after my hysterectomy. Whoa! Since then I've been controlled by diet. For my BTKR surgery, the medical staff watched my blood sugar carefully just as @bashbago said. They will make sure you do just fine. That's why your OS is so confident--situations like ours happen quite a lot. :flwrysmile:

Good luck, Texaslady. It sounds like your team is prepared, but make sure you ask any questions you have both before and after the surgery. If something doesn't feel right to you, ask them. After my last TKR, I noticed my O2 levels were low. The nurse was there and should have seen it, too, but I specifically asked about them being low, and after I asked, they decided to put me back on oxygen for a couple more hours. They did that, and everything improved just fine, and a couple hours later, my levels stayed good.

That's a completely different example, but don't assume the staff is going to act upon something you know isn't quite right. Ask and make sure they have assessed what you've seen. If they have and there's a reason, that's probably okay, but I think sometimes they see so many vital signs it almost becomes too routine for them if the patient appears pretty normal.

Thank all of you, I am getting nervous now just a week away. I really don't know why I so nervous
since I just had a hip replacement last August 2016. It looks like my left hip has gotten a lot worse
I think it is because of my left being bone on bone and really hurts so I walk with a real bad limp.
Thank all who had some information about the diabetes I had no clue my blood sugar would go up.
I will keep you updated after surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks