BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Surgery on Monday

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Herewego77, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Herewego77

Herewego77

United States United States
    Good morning all...my TKR is next Monday and I'm wondering just how bad is the day after?

2. MSgirl

MSgirl

Actually, the day after isn't bad. They put a wonderful pain pump into my knee in the operating room that took care of the pain. In fact, I told my dr. the next day that I didn't need pain medicine. Right. Unfortunately, they took it out before I left the hospital. I wish they would let us keep it in after we go home. It would definitely have made that first week easier. Just remember what you read here. Take your pain meds on schedule. I didn't understand what people told me about not letting the pain get ahead of me. Then when I accidentally took a Celebrex instead of my pain med., I found out! Take your pain meds, rest, ice and elevate. It really will help! Good luck. You will do great!

3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The day after is not the worst, surprisingly, at least not for most. You might still be in the hospital, being given the good meds and having lots of help. You might have a nerve block going. It all depends. I found the first week rough overall in terms of pain, but don't remember the first couple days to be particularly bad.

As @MSgirl said, it helps to take your pain meds per schedule, to stay on top of the pain, rather than play tag with your discomfort.

One thing I noticed was that my pain was not bad at all as long as I didn't try to move my knees. I was quite comfy just resting in bed, and somewhat less so when in a chair with knees bent. It was when I stood up and tried to walk that my pain level rose.

4. Herewego77

Herewego77

Thank you both for your responses. I live alone but my boyfriend wants me to recuperate for a week or so at his place. I am more comfortable at home and I think it will be easier to get around at my place. He will be working so I will be on my own from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. so I might as well stay at my place. My kids live nearby and if I need them they will be right there. I ordered a wedge to elevate my leg on since I don't own a recliner. Do I need to rent an ice machine or just use what I have at home? What did you all use?

5. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

There are lots of ways to ice, so go with what "speaks" to you. Many people love the ice machines --if you go that route, see if your surgeon will prescribe one for you. Insurance will often pay for one if that's the case.

I used giant gel ice packs. Big as small blankets. I could wrap them around my knees. They worked great for me. Many sizes and types. Members might stop by to name their favorites. One called CyroMax (I think) gets high marks.

My mother and others I know used giant bags of frozen veggies for their recoveries. Inexpensive, easy to procure in a pinch, and they also worked just fine for those folks.

We have a good article about icing options that includes how to make your own ice packs. :)

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

6. MSgirl

MSgirl

I am a real newby to this forum so should probably not be responding. My answers and/or suggestions are just what worked for me. My hospital room had an ice machine in it. They used it on me the whole time, then told me that insurance had paid for it and to take it home. Maybe that will be your case. I loved using it when I was in the bedroom. When I got up to come into the den, I stopped off at the freezer for gel packs. Whatever you get, try to find some that stay cold for a long time. You may not want to make a lot of trips to the freezer. You can probably get some from Amazon right away. Ice will become your new best friend!

Hopefully, I'll get another ice machine for my surgery next month so I can keep one in the den. There was a great tip on here recently that I can't wait to try. Someone suggested freezing water in plastic cups and putting those into the ice machine. The water would stay cold longer and require fewer ice refills.

As far as staying alone, a lot of people on here have done it. For me, I was grateful to have my husband here to fill my ice machine and help me get to the bathroom at night. Even with my elevated toilet seat, I just felt better with help those first few days until I got the hang of maneuvering my walker into the bathroom. And you know, if you start out alone and find you want more help, you can always make a change.

You sound like a very together kind of woman. You are doing to do great!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jazzabelle

Jazzabelle

I was given a Burg ice machine when I left the hospital. I have loved it, though I do like to supplement with a gel pack on the back of my knee. We have discovered that four small water bottles fit into the cooler chamber nicely. We have 12 of them, with 8 always in the freezer while I'm using four.

It is so much easier to have someone home to run errands for you so you aren't tempted to over do it. If you have food put away that you can prepare easily, and if you have family and friends around who you can call on (if you will), you should do okay in your own home. I understand the desire to nest in your own space. Maybe your bf will be willing to stay there for a bit?

8. Herewego77

Herewego77

Again, thank you for your responses and I am going to see if my insurance will cover the use of an ice machine. I am ready to get on with the program, get it behind me and make 2018 a pain free year!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arttie

Arttie

I hope you have recovery like mine, relatively free of operative pain.

10. Hood1980

Hood1980

Ask around too @Herewego77. I've had 3 friends offer to loan me their ice machines. With replacements becoming so common, a lot of people have them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. SherrieT

SherrieT

I am pre-op and just want to wish you the best possible post-op.