THR Susan209 - not new, but improved

Susan209

graduate
Country
Australia Australia
Well, here I go.
I've cleared my inbox at work and thought I may as well take advantage of having a computer to start my thread (as opposed to trying to do this on my phone). Also, I'm guessing I'll be a bit preoccupied tomorrow morning, and don't trust myself to set things up after surgery.
Here's to an improved me. Very soon. :happydance::happydance::happydance:(<- I can't help myself; I like this one)

All the best tomorrow! See you on this side soon. I'll leave your recovery articles here so you can refer to them if needed.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:happydance:Good luck! And best wishes for a smooth procedure and recovery!

:happydance::happydance::happydance: Your fave! That will be you soon :yay: :flwrysmile:
@Susan209

Well, after being stuck in the waiting room for 6 hours, things moved really fast. Something changed in the hospital’s planning and I was up next.
Went in around midday with spinal and sedation (and other things I currently can’t remember) and was chatting to staff in recovery at 3 pm.
OS just popped in and seemed happy, and both my SO and my sister have been for a visit. So far, this side is looking really good. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Yay Sue!
Know there is some tough stuff, but you are on your way back to a live with no hip pain!
Glad to hear from you...

.:happyfeet:Happy dance for you!

Woohoo! So wonderful to see your post, Sue
You finally made it over here. SIX hour wait? I would have needed sedation for my nerves.. lol!
Great on scoring a single room, it's so nice to have the privacy.
Best wishes for a day of well controlled pain and restful healing.
@Susan209

Thank you all.
Didn’t sleep last night, but oh well... [emoji42] Guess this is my body protesting a bit.
Was quite nauseous yesterday and it took two different medications and quite a few sick bags, but that seems sorted now. Will attempt breakfast later. [emoji477]️
Blood pressure still quite on the low side, but I’m sure that will sort itself, too.
Now just to get my increasing pain levels under control, and I’ll be ready to rock’n’roll again. [emoji16]

Oh yes I had horrid nausea too. Was such a relief when that stage passed. Low blood pressure too. I hope your pain is better controlled soon. It’s not much fun at first but you’ll be feeling much better soon. :)

So pleased to know you are on the road to recovery! Here's to pain control and no more nausea.

I hope you feel better soon! I’m feeling great after a little over a week. The blood pressure issue is so frustrating... just when you want to get up and moving, the BP says to stay down. Mine finally normalized today, although I haven’t felt nauseous or dizzy in a about a week. Funny how the body compensates.

Healing thoughts headed your way!

So sorry, Sue. Nausea and sick bags = no fun!
As I'm sure you've read and heard by now, nausea and low BP both seem pretty common.
Thankfully the nausea seems to have stopped, hopefully by now your BP has regulated too.
Sending a hug and healing wishes your way. Hope you can sneak in a few long naps :bored: :yawn: :sleep:
@Susan209

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.
Had a rather rough day.
Tomorrow can only be better.

Easy days my friend. Don't be afraid to ask for medication. Anti-nausea meds and different pain meds if what you are taking isn't working. The focus while you are still in hospital is to get your pain management cocktail just right.

So happy to see you on this side. I’m sure they will get the nausea and pain under control and then on to recovery. Things can only get better from here!:yes!: :flwrysmile:

Thank you all for checking in on me.
Managed to sleep last night. Today’s plan is to eat (and keep it down) as well as attempting to get up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks