BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

TKR on Dec. 27, 2017

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Hood1980, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Hood1980

Hood1980

United States United States
    Hi All,
    Thank you for joining me on this TKR journey. I am an active 59 year old that has suffered with patellla Alta all my life with arthritis setting in at a young age and allowed it to limit my activity. Since taking an early retirement a few years ago, I joined a gym and really started becoming physically fit until I blew out my "good" knee doing kettle bell swings on July 4 and am now a TKR candidate with m surgeon recommending the Smith & Nephew Journey II XR where I would get to retain by ACL and PCL for more natural movement and quicker recovery. I'd like to learn more about TKR in general and to see if others here have had any experience with this type of joint replacement.

2. PoetryChef

PoetryChef

Welcome to BoneSmart. Here you will find that we are a pretty cordial group with lots of excellent experience and information to share. Shortly someone much more experienced than I will be along to leave reading material to get you started on your journey. You have landed in a good space here. Best of success.

Sherry

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! I'm afraid you've been fed a really old fib.
    I've had both the cruciate retaining (left) and the cruciate sacrificing (right) so can tell you without hesitation that there is no difference between the two, not on 'natural movement' or speed of recovery.

4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:welome:! We're so glad you found us. Everyone here has gone through, or will soon undergo, knee replacement surgery. We've been there through it all, from pre-op jitters to full, successful recoveries.

The best advice I ever got was to research surgeons and interview them to find the very best one for me. Once you know you have a good surgeon, go with whatever implant that surgeon recommends. Most implants are only as good as the surgeon who installs them. The surgeon has good reasons for using that implant AND, most importantly, is going to be skilled at installing it.

We have members who've had just about every type of implant. If you do a search (there's a search box at the top of this page), you will find threads by members who either asked about this implant or have it in their knees.

Meanwhile, here's some helpful reading.

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

5. SusieShoes

And, because you've scheduled your surgery, I'll give you our Recovery Guidelines also. Lots of great information here as well. :)

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

6. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you having one or both replaced?

7. Hood1980

Hood1980

Just one in December. The other one at some point in the future....maybe.

8. Hood1980

Hood1980

Just wanted to add this is my first knee replacement and i am starting to get cold feet. docs always ask me about the pain and that has not been my issue....I can manage/deal with it. It's more the lack of stability and the thought of it going out on me at any time. I am starting to stress about the recovery period not being worth what I'll gain in stability/confidence in my new knee. and the thought of it just leading to another knee replacement and another long recovery in the other (right) knee. Maybe I just can't find it on these forums, but I've tried looking. Recovery times? How long? Regrets vs kudos?

9. bottomshollow

bottomshollow ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

moved 12.jpg @Hood1980, I moved the above post from the December surgery list thread back into your own pre op thread. The surgery list thread is mainly for letting members see who is having surgery around the same time so that questions, concerns, and sharing can take place in one anothers' own personal threads.

Having second thoughts is a pretty common thing, so here is a link to a form in our Library you should consider downloading and printing out to see how your hip/knee is impacting your activities and abilities: Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

This is a form for you to print off. Then you fill it in and add up the numbers. The more you have in columns 3 and 4, the worse is your quality of life.

The fact that you have manageable pain now may not be the best way to determine if you really need a replacement. And why would you want to wait until the pain becomes unbearable before doing anything?

Have you read all the articles you have been given links to in posts from other members? Have you checked out the library? Are you reading member threads in the recovery area? If you do these things, I'm sure you'll find answers to all the above.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. hugs 25.jpg

10. SusieShoes

@Hood1980, it's natural to get cold feet about something as major as knee replacement. It's not like you can try them out, decide you don't like them, and undo the surgery. So this is kind of a big decision.

Like you, i wondered how my new knees would feel. Would they be... weird? Wobble? Buckle? Nope. They were amazing. Two hours after surgery the PT guy in the hospital got me up onto my feet. I had two new freshly installed knees and... rock solid. They felt great! I'm a heavy girl and they held me up beautifully. They were a little stiff when I tried walking (two hours after surgery, mind, so there was some pain, too) but they worked BETTER than my old, arthritic knees. They felt better. They felt more stable. They were perfect.

I still believe that. They move better than my old knees. Always feel solid and capable. Never have even threatened to buckle. I walked two miles this morning. I walk up and down stairs like any other person.

So the recovery period is worth it. No one can say how long your recovery will be, of course. No one knows that. Every recovery is different, and each knee takes as long as it needs to take to heal. A knee replacement takes a year to heal fully, though you will feel better before that. I felt great (pain-free and back to normal) at four months. I had an excellent recovery. Most people feel good by three or four months, though continue to have stiffness or minor complaints for a bit, and improve more from that point.

No regrets, as you can see. Kudos? To my surgeon... he's top rate and has a great, kindly bedside manner. Also the PT I had in rehab. They set me up to succeed by being realistic and emphasizing exercise through daily activities.

11. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My experience too! (Though I only had one knee done first.) :) In retrospect I didn't know how I was functioning on a knee that was as unstable as it was before the surgery.

12. Hood1980

Hood1980

This is so sad. Makes me question having the surgery even more.

13. Hood1980

Hood1980

Thank you @SusieShoes! I'm sure I'll have more concerns and am glad to see you have made it through a double TKR with no regrets!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hood1980

Hood1980

How does your surgeon determine the type of pain meds to give you? Having been through Breast Cancer and two bunionectomies, I've tried all the usual ones with no success and it is a major source of my anxiety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. SusieShoes

Your surgeon wants you to have the best pain control he/she can achieve because good pain control promotes good healing. This is a conversation you need to have ahead of time with the surgeon. Give the surgeon a heads up, if you have not already, about your past surgeries and pain experiences.

BoneSmart has a resource for helping you plan this conversation: Plan Against Pain

16. Hood1980

Hood1980

My knee feels like it is splitting in two where the femur and tibia come together. Is the type of pain people have? Up until recently, I've only had mild pain and was going forward with the TKR because of the unsteadiness of the joint. It feels like it can go at any time. Just hoping it holds together until Dec. 27th!

17. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

A few months before my TKR I found walking or standing for any length of time painful. Often even while sitting my knee would throb and I’d massage constantly. While TKR surgery is painful, that surgical pain goes away eventually.

18. Hood1980

Hood1980

Thank you @KarriB. I struggled with the decision to have the surgery, because of the long recovery. The closer I get to the date, the more painful my knee becomes.

19. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had never had any type of surgery or procedure before my TKR. I was aware of the recovery length because my dad and bff both had TKRs. But it got to the point that I could do nothing without being in pain and wanted my life back. Then at 2 weeks before surgery I had to go off all pain killers except Tylenol, that was a rough 2 weeks. I do almost anything I want now including walking a few miles a day and biking 8 miles a day.

20. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My knee wasn't painful all the time. Pushing on the brake, riding my bike, up and down stairs, hiking, dancing...these were the things I couldn't do anymore. Standing any length of time is still painful on both knees. Walking is much less painful now! It was a thrill the first time I could ride my bike without awful right knee pain!