BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

What kind of hip though?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by mcopt, Jun 29, 2017.

1. mcopt

mcopt

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi everyone just joined. I find this forum very interesting and informative as well as reassuring.

I have been suffering hip pain for past 2 years getting progressively worse. I bit the bullet and went for consultation and x-ray last week. Nothing was helping the pain anymore and my walking and motility were getting worse by the day. The x-ray showed bone on bone on both hips the consultant saying out of 10 for severity he would give it a 9.

I accept that the only 'cure' is THR and am now researching all the different options available to treat this ie different materials used etc. At the age of 62 I would like to think I can get a reasonable mileage out of new hips without having a revision if possible and would like to return to as active a lifestyle (cycling, skiing etc) as possible given that the procedure is successful.

Any advice or reassurance would be most welcome especially on how to prepare for this journey and what to expect.

Wishing everyone well

2. Gone again

Gone again

United States United States
    @mcopt your echoing my story. I'm 10 days into recovery of Left THR.
    Im a carpenter my hips started giving me trouble around 3 years ago. Osteoarthritis. I let it go to the point that I couldn't work anymore,I was trying to make it to 62 for Social Security. I didn't make it and had to retire early.
    I was able to find the right doctor. He said that I wasn't to young and it's not an age thing. If your hips are ruining your life fix them and live again. I was having a hard time walking at all.
    Well my left hip was the worst so we started there. I won't lie the first week post op wasn't a lot fun but the hip pain was gone. Now it's day 10 and improving. Sure glad I did it.
    Doctor used a crosse link Polly on ceramic and the materials now are much better than 20 years ago, and hopefully will out live me.
    You can check out the posts in the recovery form and get a lot of real world information.
    Bill

• Like Like x 2
  3. Medfordart

Medfordart

I had both hips replaced 15 months apart. My surgeon does not do them at the same time. I am 7 months from the 2nd replacement and I definitely have my life back. I am very active and have not had any problems. It is so wonderful to be pain free and back enjoying my life to the fullest!
    If you like your surgeon, let him/her do their thing! The surgeon is the main thing and they will make those decisions for you.
    Good luck on your journey. You have found the right place, a lot of support here!

• Like Like x 5
  4. nonny

nonny

You have made my day! I'm the same age as you and I need to be pain free and back enjoying my life to the fullest! I have a young (39) surgeon, at a great "ortho replacement" hospital and I will take your advice. I can't wait until my surgery on August 16th and my chance to reclaim my life. I have no idea why I put up with this for so long. Thanks, Sheri!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Medfordart

Medfordart

That is great @nonny I will be keeping an eye on you. Life will be great again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoryMcDune

BoryMcDune

Canada Canada
    hi @mcopt - you asked what to expect and what to look forward to.

After 5 years of declining health in my hips (left hip mostly) I pulled the plug and told my "soon to be OS" it was finally time for surgery. In hindsight I waited too long as I had slowly backed away from many activities important to me - running, skiing, hiking, hockey, etc... Biking was the last thing I could still do and I had to park my bike last February due to pain (like you I was bone on bone).

Surgery was in June - a great time of year if you have a choice (for me it was just luck) and live where winter is snowy, icy and cold as walking was super important for my recovery and sanity.

4½ months later I am back on my bike doing 25-30 km a day, working out in the gym and planning a back country ski trip over the Christmas holidays. For the latter activity (helicopter access into a back country cabin in the mountains with family-friends and then ski off-piste for 5 days before the helicopter returns).

I got the green light from the surgeon first as I am ahead of the schedule he would normally put people on. Since it is winter where I live now (snow, -12C today), I just put winter tires (metal studs) on my mountain bike so I can continue my sanity commute to work each day.

I thought I might get 1 round of golf in before the season changed but found the weighted hip rotation from the follow through too much (2 weeks ago) so backed off and said 'maybe next year'. I fully plan to do a grand fondo or 2 next summer and say hello to my hiking boots and backpack for some unplugged time in the wilderness.

My only mistake was waiting probably 1 more year than I should have before getting surgery. For me - my lifestyle is returning because of modern medicine.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mcopt

mcopt

Hi @BoryMcDune Thanks for the inspiration I am being as optimistic as I can about the future got to say this forum has been such a help all you guys out there getting their lives back so pleased it's working well for you and long may it continue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

I am amazed that you post dated June 29, was missed by me! I must be slacking!

There are now only three materials in use: Metal (either cobalt or titanium), ceramic and polyethylene. The mixes for bearings is metal head on polyethylene cup, metal on ceramic, ceramic on polyethylene, ceramic on ceramic, ceramic on metal. Metal on metal is no longer used so run away if anybody suggests it to you!

You should also bear in mind that there are no "Rolls Royce" hips, they are all pretty much of a muchness and different ones are selected by surgeons because they are the ones they trained on and have most experience with. I also suggest you don't go for the latest design but accept ones that have a pretty good history to them. And read the 'how to choose a surgeon' article in Susie's post.
    Hips these days are lasting at least 35-40 years and probably longer. So at 60 plus, the likelihood of you having to face a revision is most unlikely!

Here are some interesting factoids
    Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years
    67½ year old - the THRs, not the patient!

Yes that's a given too! Read these Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcopt

mcopt

Hi you must be psychic! I was just reading through amazing hip recoveries!!

I have learnt a lot since June. The first surgeon I saw would only do metal on metal and this was around the time the press resurrected stories of MoM problems so that was a no go. Next I looked at metal on metal resurfacing if I was eligible I was re-assured by the statistics for this and provisionally decided to go ahead. Subsequently I have had second thoughts about MoM and resurfacing at my age.

I am now booked for December THR. My surgeon normally uses ceramic on ceramic but I will obviously leave the final decision to his professional judgement. I do know he doesn't use metal on metal.

Thanks for your advice and info.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mcopt

mcopt

LOL ! No much chance of that more like a very slow stagger away nowadays !

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

As a matter of more or less idle curiosity, what made you change your mind about resurfacing?

Also, you might find this helpful How to use the quote feature

12. mcopt

mcopt

Hi @Josephine sorry its taken a while to get back to you.

My recent cancellation/postponement by the surgeon made me stop and think if I was actually going down the correct route to fix my hips. There is such a lot of information out there and to us non orthopaedic people making a decision can be quite daunting ( I am ok with eyes!).

I stopped and looked at my criteria obviously most important is to have a successful treatment and eliminate pain with that said and done most normal functions should be restored to a decent level. Resurfacing initially appealed after reading the testimonials of so many people but then I realised that many of these were young high performing athletes or sports people, I am an older guy who just wants to be normally active again my marathon running and extreme skiing days are behind me now regardless of how good my hips may be.

With this in mind the metal on metal saga began playing on my mind as did the many people both lay and professional who cast doubt on my sanity of having a simultaneous bilateral at my age. I went back to the drawing board and found a surgeon very locally to me who is well experienced in the Superpath procedure. I must admit I liked the idea of it for the minimal soft tissue damage, the increased stability of the prosthesis and if all goes to plan a shorter recovery before I can hopefully return to work. Obviously I will need to go through this twice but I do feel more comfortable with my decision now.

As with anything in medicine there are no guarantees and sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling and intuition, what is good for one is not always the best for another. Sorry to ramble on! Must say I so appreciate the support and information this forum has given me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  13. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Hi @mcopt seems like you've got it all sorted in your head now, the where's and why's, and soon it will be all sorted at your hip. 'Gut feeling and intuition' is always a good place to start. Take care.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@mcopt I appreciate you sharing the background to your decision. This might help others facing the same.

For you - this is definitely the road to take. Yes, there are no guarantees. But THR is one of the most performed procedures worldwide. And there are plenty of us who are back to living again post surgery.

Looking forward to seeing you on the other side!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Michegon

Michegon

@mcopt Hi, Bilateral Jim here. In 2014 i knew i had to do something with my hips as they were more painful every week! I decided to get both done at the same time, everyone said no, you can't ect. I have been in the health field since the middle seventies and have been very athletic. College football And BB so, i, hired "me" to get the job done. It's been 3 years and my recovery can match any on this forum. Get the "Star" surgeon and let it rip. Oh, Sorry! This forum and my health team put together a healing package that today brings a smile to my soul! If i can help in any way, i'm here for you! Good Luck you'll be fine. I thought Rest, the best fuel, and a great attitude helped me in a big way to be where I'm at!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. SaraK

SaraK

@mcopt - I had the Superpath procedure on my first hip in April and getting ready for the second on December 2. I know others that have had wonderful outcomes from other procedures but I do highly recommend the Superpath based on my own experience. Like you, I did tons of research before my first surgery and switched surgeons as a result. I did find it rather daunting trying to make such a big decision without any real assistance! In the end, the skill and experience of the surgeon is probably more important than the procedure but a minimally invasive procedure is helpful. I know I'm not the norm, but my PT took me off the walker on day 2 post op and I used minimal meds and was back to work (office job) in 2 weeks. I was dancing and trying light yoga (for the first time) at 5-6 weeks! Don't push yourself too hard, but let your body take you as far as it's ready.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mcopt

mcopt

Hi thanks everyone for your support. I was thrown a curved ball last week as I was offered a place on a clinical trial for a new ceramic hip resurfacing procedure being carried out in London it was very tempting but unfortunately the timings were wrong for me and I would have had to wait at least 6 months until the second hip was treated due to constraints of the trial the way the pain is now I couldn't handle that so declined . If anyone is interested though Google H1 ceramic hip resurfacing trial, Professor Cobb is the lead surgeon. So back on track for Superpath on 14th Dec. @SaraK very interested to hear your experience are you uk based ? So pleased it worked well for you and good wishes for the next one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. SaraK

SaraK

@mcopt - No, I'm in St. Louis, Missouri. Was lucky to find out that one of the OS here had trained in Superpath. My PT had never dealt with a Superpath patient before me and was just amazed at where I was just 2 days after surgery. Before this OS, I had been seeing one that did anterior but also didn't have the same volume of practice. The more I read, the more concerned I became about anterior as well (I know many have had great outcomes, but it seemed like there was a higher complication rate). The only negative the first OS could give me about Superpath was that it hadn't been around as long as other procedures.

Good luck on your surgery - looks like you're less than 2 weeks behind me so we'll have to keep in touch and encourage each other!

19. mcopt

mcopt

@SaraK there are so far only a couple of surgeons in the UK who are trained in superpath it seems to be more widespread in the States and Australia. As it happens one of the UK surgeons is practing very close to me he seems to have a very good reputation and is actively involved in teaching the procedure to others . It is good to hear from someone who has been treated with this and going back again. It is so difficult knowing if you have made a good decision as you say so many people have been treated very successfully with more traditional methods and will continue to be however I am a firm believer in innovation and feel that superpath or similar methods will be the future for thr. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress after your next surgery I am sure it will be great you seem to have a very positive attitude I think that helps so much. Out of intrest what anaesthesia did you have first time ? Best wishes for the 2nd .

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Horseshoe

Horseshoe

• Like Like x 1