TKR 8 weeks post TKR

Had my 1st post op restaurant meal with my very understanding and supportive wife last night....wow did I suffer on return...been in the garden most of the afternoon "pottering " and enjoying the elusive , 30 min car ride to dinner, very average meal, 30 min drive back and a night of no sleep, swollen knee and pain not only in the knee but also my ankle, safe to say won't be much done today.
Physio tomorrow then start week 9 post op.

Hi Steve, Happy Sunday!
Thanks for the information.
Those early car rides can be uncomfortable, although it's nice to get out for a meal on occasion, too bad it was...ho-hum
I hope you're icing today and your knee feels better soon. A great week to you!
@Steveg63

Hi, yes iced this morning and elevated, swlling went down so managed to complete full round of stretching exercises, even managed a 95degree bend, so happy with that. 4 mins on bike and 10mins walking on treadmill then 30 mins in garden planting vegetables, back in now icing, elevation and small knee massage with vitamin E oil.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Steve!
I hope this week is a good one!
@Steveg63

Morning/afternoon/evening all.
I am 8 weeks post surgery, date of TKR was 22/02/2024.
I am a little behind where I thought I would be, difficult to judge as nothing to compare it too. However here we go, would be good to get some feedback.
Been having 1x pt session per week for 30mins since 2 week post surgery.
Exercise at home
Use a treadmill to walk 1 mile a day (easier than walking in the constant rain we have in the UK)
Still have the tight band under my knee
Some swelling to the outside of my knee.
Elevate and ice the knee 3 to 4 times a day, usually after the exercises or my walk.
I can walk around house without any walking aids but this reduces as the day wears on.
Sleep has returned to something normal but still tired during the day.
Reduced my pain meds to over the counter pain relief.
95/0 ROM.
Saw my consultant last week and he is "threatening" manual manipulation if my rom does not improve over the next 5 weeks.
I have read everywhere that we all recovery at different rates, however its been quite frustrating with the lack of progress I have made.
There seems a lot of other sites that state you must be at 110plus at week 8. Walk 3x30mins a day unaided, back working and driving!
Well I am not and starting to feel a little despondent.
Well that's it of my chest, back to the exercise.
I am almost 4 weeks out. Do a lot of exercises chair sits bands to increase Shore ROM. It should come with walking. But you still need to work at it. I don’t like manipulation. It sets you back to almost beginning of the surgery. You can do it. My doctor also put me on prednisone to relieve the inflammation. I was at 1:05 the third week.
Good luck. Keep working.

We really don’t have to “work on ROM.”

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

We really don’t have to “work on ROM.”

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
Thank you for your words, my ROM has increased, it's approx 100 degree on bend, I can comfortably sit now with a slight bend, 70 ish degree, managed to walk up stairs, all be it with 1 crutch to help.
It's the pain and the band tightness under the knee that is making life hard, still struggling with a good night's sleep. But we remain positive.

Morning/afternoon/evening all.
I am 8 weeks post surgery, date of TKR was 22/02/2024.
I am a little behind where I thought I would be, difficult to judge as nothing to compare it too. However here we go, would be good to get some feedback.
Been having 1x pt session per week for 30mins since 2 week post surgery.
Exercise at home
Use a treadmill to walk 1 mile a day (easier than walking in the constant rain we have in the UK)
Still have the tight band under my knee
Some swelling to the outside of my knee.
Elevate and ice the knee 3 to 4 times a day, usually after the exercises or my walk.
I can walk around house without any walking aids but this reduces as the day wears on.
Sleep has returned to something normal but still tired during the day.
Reduced my pain meds to over the counter pain relief.
95/0 ROM.
Saw my consultant last week and he is "threatening" manual manipulation if my rom does not improve over the next 5 weeks.
I have read everywhere that we all recovery at different rates, however its been quite frustrating with the lack of progress I have made.
There seems a lot of other sites that state you must be at 110plus at week 8. Walk 3x30mins a day unaided, back working and driving!
Well I am not and starting to feel a little despondent.
Well that's it of my chest, back to the exercise.
I am almost 4 weeks out. Do a lot of exercises chair sits bands to increase Shore ROM. It should come with walking. But you still need to work at it. I don’t like manipulation. It sets you back to almost beginning of the surgery. You can do it. My doctor also put me on prednisone to relieve the inflammation. I was at 1:05 the third week.
Good luck. Keep working.
Thanks for your reply. 9 weeks post op now, rom is increasing slightly, spoke with my PT and she advised me to refuse the manipulation if offered when I go see the consultant in 3 weeks.
Back to work for 2x half days, wow was that tough.

At just over two months, your flexion is fine. Just keep on with gentle range of motion, not moving into the pain zone.

I'm sorry you've had to return to work, albeit part time. Definitely elevate toes over nose and ice at least 45 minutes after getting home!

The tight band - does the massage help it? Once I knew the skin was fully healed, I did a lot of massage including cross-fiber (across muscle rather than just lengthwise).

Hi, work was needed as own a business and staff needed 'guidance'....all should be well now for another couple of weeks. I tend not to do the exercises the PT game me when I have bee to work as I walk quite a way.
I attend deep muscle massage once a week which does help, but the day after it's as bad, I do find doing the ankle stretch eases the tightness.
Will try the massaging to see if this eases it.

Bad day today, lot of pain, heaps of stiffness, feels like a regression.
Not only pain in the knee but also down the leg and into the ankle, that bad had to revert back to meds. Hopefully tomorrow will be better as have PT.

I hope tomorrow is a better day also, but I also hope if you're hurting, you skip PT until you're not dealing with pain. Rest and Ice should help. :fingersx:
May this week be a good one!
@Steveg63

Did you increase your activities the last few days? How about a restless night? I would wake up with extra pain with no apparent reason and figured I had done something in my sleep.

It's really not unusual to have up and down days of pain. That's why we call it a rollercoaster ride recovery. Hopefully, after a day of rest you'll feel much better tomorrow.

Did you increase your activities the last few days? How about a restless night? I would wake up with extra pain with no apparent reason and figured I had done something in my sleep.

It's really not unusual to have up and down days of pain. That's why we call it a rollercoaster ride recovery. Hopefully, after a day of rest you'll feel much better tomorrow.
Went to my local rugby club on Saturday to watch the game, looks like I paid the price for having a couple hours stood and sat.
Rested all of Sunday, only did 1 round of exercises and the pain as subsided this morning.
Getting quite despondent with the recovery. Really thought by week 10, tomorrow, I would have more rom, struggle walking up stairs still have to step with good leg then bring new knee leg to same step!
I do walk without aids but the weather in the UK is not helping, end of April and we have continuous rain and strong winds so have to resort to the treadmill.
Pt later so let's see what that brings.

Well after a really bad day yesterday, Sunday, today hit a milestone, walked my dog 20mins no crutch and then walked up stairs sequentially...that for me is a real positive, granted wasn't very pretty walking up the stairs but it's a win.

Well after a really bad day yesterday, Sunday, today hit a milestone, walked my dog 20mins no crutch and then walked up stairs sequentially.
Yippee! Your day of rest really helped you. These knees like to have rest days that help with healing. I pray you continue to have good days.

Week 10 post op.
Had pt session yesterday and achieved 95 bend easily and 100 with a little persuasion, even managed a decent night's sleep.
Stumbling across this site has helped so much, gave the Web address to my pt and advised her to pass onto all her rehab clients.
It's encouraging to read other members posts and journeys, you soon realise that what you are going through is not much different from most other people...so thank you.
Off to get my hair cut, then coffee with a friend and finish with my weekly massage.
Hope everyone has a good week.

Great milestone on the stairs!

Our progress really is up and down - sometimes because of overdoing things and sometimes just... because.

It's really common for us to have a milestone like sequential stairs seemingly achieved out of the blue... what's happening is that when it feels we're stuck on a plateau, on a cellular level nerve and muscle fibers are healing and reconnecting and suddenly they have that magical blend of function and coordination. Such a gift!

Looking forward to reading about more of yours.

Stumbling across this site has helped so much, gave the Web address to my pt and advised her to pass onto all her rehab clients.
Thank you so much! It is greatly appreciated. We're happy you joined us and were encouraged through following other's threads. Please stay in touch with future updates on your progress, so we're able to support you through your healing journey. Have a wonderful week!

Wonder if anyone can offer advice on this, should I be looking at wearing a knee brace to help with walking and exercise?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom