• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Amab’s THR pre op journey

amab

graduate
Country
United States United States
Coming up on 11 years since my LTKR. My knees are doing just fine; rom for my left knee is about the same.

Met with a new orthopedic surgeon today for my hips. They have become more and more painful. X-rays revealed they are both pretty much bone on bone. I explained to the surgeon my hips feel much like my knees did before my TKRs….he pointed out on the X-rays the lack of any space in the joint of both hips.

He explained no doubt I’ll need them replaced but also offered trying some injections to “buy” some time. At this stage PT would not productive for me. So, I’ll have bilateral hip injections with flouroscope being used. This is scheduled for this Friday. We‘ll see if this will provide any relief and I’ll follow up with him in 3 months or sooner if necessary.

So, I’ll probably be posting again over on the hip side of Bonesmart……

I’m sorry amab. This is an all too common scenario. One good thing, most that have experienced both hip and knee replacements, usually say hips are an easier recovery. I do hope the injections provide the relief you’re looking for. Please keep us posted.
@amab

Good to hear from you, glad your knees are doing well.
I have hip injections for moderate arthritis, the injections have helped with pain and mobility.
All the best with your upcoming injections.

Injections went smoothly; MD used ultrasound for the injections. no issues so far.

I hope they provide relief and buy you some good time.

Injections provided relief for 5 1/2 weeks at most; followed up with the surgeon this past Monday; determined its best to proceed with a Right Hip Replacement vs any more injections. Scheduled surgery for 6/6; will likely have the left hip replaced in August; bilateral replacement was not an option. Putting things in motion to get this done.

@amab Welcome to the hip side of Bonesmart! I moved the above posts out of your knee recovery thread and started this pre op thread for your hips. Best wishes moving forward!

Here is some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Took care of pre admission information at the hospital today, labs and EKG. A little early but we travel for the last couple of weeks of May so to be sure these items were taken care of they were scheduled for today. I’ll see the surgeon on 5/13 for his preop assessment. Took time to drive by the surgical center at the hospital just to know where it is since we just moved to town less than 2 years ago.

The surgeon’s practice has sent several informational communications with videos and questions about my current pain levels, activities etc. Have taken care of a few things around the house already to make sure everything is ready to go. I know I am now that the decision has been made and schedule set……

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads