• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Anyone get a reverse shoulder because of a break?

katcurryhobble

Country
United States United States
I am 68 and healthy. In 2022, I fell off my bike on my shoulder on cement. We thought it was a 3-part fracture at the time, so we let it try to heal for a year. After a year of faithful PT, I still could not lift my arm forward and side past 90 degrees. Because of the funky break (head compressed into the humerus, then turned 2 ways) it was wearing the cartilage out, and I would have needed a replacement at some point.... so decided to get a total reverse. It's been 6 months since the surgery and I still can't get past 90 front and side. The doctor said I will be able to get to 130 front eventually, but bc of the break, it will take me longer than normal. Anyone been in this situation? Would love to hear if anyone has been down this road. Thanks!

@katcurryhobble Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome: Which shoulder was the one replaced and what was the date of your surgery? We will create a signature for you with that information.

I am not aware of anyone here that has gone through such a difficult situation as yours though there are quite a few folks who have gotten a reverse shoulder replacement. But if there is anyone on this forum I am sure they will pop in to add their experience. Those are usually done when the damage to the shoulder involves both arthritis and soft tissue damage such as a torn rotator cuff or damage to other tendons and/or muscles. As I understand it the reverse shoulder implant does have different limitations from the standard ones. And given the amount of damage to your shoulder, and the length of time it took to get to needing the TSR, my guess would be that it will take you longer to fully rehabilitate the shoulder and arm.

My 2 TSRs were standard ones needed because of degenerative osteoarthritis and it took 6+ months to get to what my PT and I felt was full functioning. And still I can not do a crawl stroke when swimming (can't get a smooth around and down motion) and can't hook a bra behind my back (oh well, front closure ones work fine).

It sounds to me like your surgeon is confident you will get more range of motion ... so stick to your PT program

It was my right shoulder (I am right-handed). The date of surgery was July 2023.
I did have damage to the supraspinatus tendon (90% damaged) with the break.
Thank you!

Hello: I have a question about the bicep repair / tenodesis: I had that done with the Reverse shoulder last July. How long did it take for that area to heal for you? I've noticed that with my PT there is somewhat of a bruising/tightness feeling there when I stretch. I feel like it's hindering me from going further in the PT. Any help from your experience greatly appreciated.

@katcurryhobble I, personally, did not have that kind of repair done. However there are quite a few folks who have posted their journeys here who have been through this. Here is a link to the list of threads that mention this: https://bonesmart.org/forum/search/1664744/?q=bicep+repair&o=relevance

Soft tissue surgery or injury does often take longer to heal than straight joint replacement. And one does need to be cautious, especially at first, not to strain that area. Have you been back to see your surgeon recently? What does your PT say about that sensation?

I am 68 and healthy. In 2022, I fell off my bike on my shoulder on cement. We thought it was a 3-part fracture at the time, so we let it try to heal for a year. After a year of faithful PT, I still could not lift my arm forward and side past 90 degrees. Because of the funky break (head compressed into the humerus, then turned 2 ways) it was wearing the cartilage out, and I would have needed a replacement at some point.... so decided to get a total reverse. It's been 6 months since the surgery and I still can't get past 90 front and side. The doctor said I will be able to get to 130 front eventually, but bc of the break, it will take me longer than normal. Anyone been in this situation? Would love to hear if anyone has been down this road. Thanks!
I suffered a break in October whilst in holiday. Shoulder was as they described ‘ smashed’ had a total reverse replacement.

How is recovery for people. I am wondering when I can weight bear. Want to return to Pilates but not sure if it’s worth ok to rest on hands and knees. Struggling with reaching towards back but front and lateral raises not too bad.

@Robbo Welcome to BoneSmart!1 Please start your own thread so that we can better answer your questions without taking over katcurryhobble's thread. And give us the date of your surgery and which shoulder was replaced so we can make a signature for you.

My reverse shoulder replacement was because of osteoarthritis, not a fracture, so our situations are different, but at 3+ months, I can lift my arm to 180 degrees. What does your surgeon say?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member