• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Rotator Cuff Repair Bicep droop

wishihad

Country
United States United States
10 weeks post surgery and just discover that when i have my arm out to my side and i flex with my palms facing my head i have normal bicep activation. But when i rotate my hand so my palm is facing forward my bicep on the repaired shoulder arm droops and is not activated. Awaiting an MRI any thoughts or ideas? Stressing..

@wishihad Welcome to BoneSmart! Please tell us the date of your surgery and which shoulder. With that information we will create a signature for you. That helps everyone who responds to your post(s) know how far along in the healing process you are.

Are you doing any physical therapy since your rotator cuff repair? If yes, what does the PT person say about this issue? Have you been in contact with your surgeon about this?

With soft tissue injuries (such as rotator cuff) and repair it can take longer than one might expect to fully rehabilitate the shoulder.

Hi I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder 12/15/23 for

High-grade partial-thickness intrasubstance tear of the distal supraspinatus tendon. Localized bone marrow edema of the adjacent greater tuberosity, question area of stress reaction or trabecular bone injury

2. Localized small fluid/cystic structure at the supraspinatus musculotendinous junction is probably residua of prior injury. Mild adjacent edema. Severe tendinosis of the more distal supraspinatus.

3. Tear of the posterior labrum. Assessment of much of the labrum is degraded by motion artifact although a tear of the superior labrum is also suspected.

4. Probable synovitis or small joint bodies within the biceps tendon sheath, poorly assessed due to motion artifact

I started PT twice a week in week 4 and finished this past week, prior to my discovery of my bicep issue.

The PT has “no idea” and has never seen this. My surgeons PA was short and rude and suggested I live with the “deformity” and that it’s likely that one of the two bicep tendons have torn away. But not to worry as the other muscles can compensate, unless i’m worried about cosmetics. I challenged him and he asked if i did not trust him. Then quickly said “fine” i’ll order a MRI and you can go see the surgeon. Waiting on that now.

Thanks!

@wishihad Yikes! When you see the surgeon be sure to mention how inappropriate and unprofessional that PA was! He may have had "no idea" ... but he is not the surgeon and IF a bicep tendon had "torn away" that is NOT some insignificant occurrence! Nor, from what you describe, is it just "cosmetic"! Hopefully the MRI will help identify what exactly is the problem.

I don't recall if anyone else here has had problems such as you describe but here is a list of the threads that mention "bicep tendon" https://bonesmart.org/forum/search/1737209/?q=Bicep+tendon&o=relevance

I completely agree, that tendon tears are NEVER "cosmetic" and that the PA needs to be reported.

Thanks and I will keep the thread updated as things progress.

I completely agree, that tendon tears are NEVER "cosmetic" and that the PA needs to be reported.
The PA was adamant that the brachialis muscle would compensate and I would have zero loss of strength. I think he repeated it would only be cosmetic 3 or 4 times, so not to worry unless I was concerned with how it looked. I felt he was trying to shame me into just accepting it.
:(

I'm pleased you got the MRI order. We each deserve to have our concerns actively responded to.

So I just got my MRI results back and they read to me just like the original. Also no mention of Bicep tendon, etc.. Can anyone make sense of this for me? Something seems off!
Bicep droop

Also for what it’s worth for insurance reasons i got the pre and post MRI at different locations and the second one lacks a lot in the way of detail and picture quality and clarity.

Sorry, don’t know how to edit, but the newest or post results are on top.

Well number 4 does report issues with biceps tendon and its sheath.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom