• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Condition of surrounding tissue

jsykas

Country
United States United States
Prior to anterior hip surgery, does it matter how irritated surrounding tissue is? If I work, walk and stretch hard, I get swelling and pain afterwards. If I take it easy, just pain when, I attempt to walk. I don't know if it matters how abused to surrounding tissue is during the operation.

Welcome back to BoneSmart!

I've not experienced hip surgery, but as a general principle it's best to go into surgery in the best possible shape - which for my knee "prehab" meant only doing knee friendly exercises, avoiding anything that would create a flare up. In order to heal, you will do best with as little preop inflammation as possible.

If you provide us info on which hip/what date, we'll be happy to update your signature and add you to the corresponding month team so you can find your peers.

(R) hip February 1sr. I had (L) TKR July 2011. Went to Killington Ski Race Camp 4 months after. Knee is still doing great, save I can't touch my heel to my butt. Still trying
Nothing in any literature addresses condition of surrounding tissue prior to hip surgery. I am in good shape having done 75 one mile swims over the Summer.

I just need to be able to feed cattle as soon as possible and fear I may lose the ski season

Hello and welcome back! With surgery in only eleven days, consider taking it easy. It is unlikely you're going to get into any better shape over the next week and half than you are right now. There is not much sense in causing yourself more pain than a deteriorating hip naturally causes. Use ice, heat or whatever brings you comfort from pain in the days leading up to your surgery.

Sadly, there is no rushing recovery, which I am certain you recall from your TKR recoveries. Your hip will pretty much dictate whether it's ready to get back to feeding cattle. As for skiing, you will most likely have to wait until next season. It is often mentioned by those that experienced both TKR and THR that hips are easier to recover from. So that's the good news after my Debbie Downer delivery. :wink:

Also, please clarify if your June 27, 2011 TKR was your right knee. Thanks in advance!

I wish you lots of comfort as you await your date. I hope you'll stop by often. I look forward to following your journey.
@jsykas

It does matter whether surrounding tissue is inflamed or not as you head into surgery. You don’t want this as it can mean a slower recovery or increases in pain and swelling. Please stop doing things that aren’t absolutely necessary so that your tissues have time to repair. It’s not that long until your surgery date, so it’s okay to let non-critical things go or get help with them.

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Please join us on the healing side once you're resting comfortably and feel like posting an update.
We're rooting for you!
@jsykas

This is a great question to take up with a surgeon. But basically you want to stop the activity that inflames the tissue.

Any good surgeon will closely look at your hip and find out about that sore tissue before recommending surgery.

I recommend that you call your surgeon's office and report this information. It's safe practice to not hide or minimize ANYTHING as you go into surgery.

Well the surgeon's office informed that so much damage is done to tissue during the surgery, that what I do won't make a difference.
I did find that not to be fully true. Once the femoral head is worn, the joint shortens and tissue changes to match. Then, after replacement "long leg" sets in causing a lot of recovery pain. Probably best not to grind too much off the femoral head before being operated on.

Hello jsykas,
Stopping by to wish you all the best with your revision tomorrow.
I will look forward to following your progress as you’re healing.
Lots of comfort to you as you wait.
@jsykas

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member