• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Finally....a new hip!

Sunflower664

Country
United States United States
Hi! I’m new here. I had my right hip replaced on Feb 5th, so tomorrow is week 5. I’m hoping to get some great information from this group.
I’m noticing that my right leg (new hip) is shorter than the left and I hobble. Is this due to the swelling on my right side? I do have an excellent orthopedist, so I trust that everything was done correctly.

Welcome! I will leave our Recovery Guidelines and type more

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
in a post below.

Hello...Thanks for joining us!

As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library -
Leg length differential - LLD.
I wish you the best as you continue healing! Stop back often to share your progress. We love updates! :)
@Sunflower664

Welcome & yes, what Layla already said & I had same concern.
In first few months it was much more pronounced but did even itself out.
It's recommended to purchase new footwear after your surgery due to wear pattern on old shoes.
I wish you well.

Almost 6 weeks post op RTHR. I’m finding that my gait is better when I use a cane, so O plan on using it until my leg length gets better.
I’ve been doing good, but now getting the achy pain probably from my hip healing. I’m starting to get lower back pain from sleeping on my back. I put a pillow under my knees, which helps a little. I do lay on my non surgical side, with a pillow between my legs, but get uncomfortable after awhile.
I take my pain meds some nights, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference in my pain. I can’t wait to be able to just fall asleep like I used to. I can’t even fathom going back to work soon, since I lie awake till midnight or later and can’t wake up in the morning.
I’ll see what the PA says at my 6 week checkup on Tuesday.

Hi! A couple of thoughts...
Lying on your non-surgical side, you might be more comfortable with a second pillow so the thigh and lower leg of your new hip don't drop at such a sharp angle ...

And re sleeping: many of us have insomnia after joint replacement. If you don't want to discuss prescription sleep meds with your doc, or to try until your appointment, you might consider some nonprescription remedies...

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.

I will try the 2 pillows. I think it will be trial and error.
As far as the pain meds, I’m doing ok with just Tylenol, but will bring it up to the PA on Tuesday. I may try Tylenol PM again, but it made me restless…I think. It may have been due to just not being comfortable.
Tomorrow I will try the warm milk.
Thank you for all of the great information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t know where that symbol came from
I'll ask to have it removed. I have passed along your requested new title!
Tylenol PM active ingredient is diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Yes, some people respond with restlessness rather than drowsiness.

I’m almost 8 weeks post op. I’m doing well, but get tired when walking a lot. It’s mostly because I still have the leg length difference. I still worry that it will stay that way, but also know that my muscles and ligaments still need to readjust.
I experienced some pain in my side butt muscle due to a higher step in PT. I mentioned this to my PT and she put me back down to 6 inches. She had increased me to 8. It was too soon. Everything else in PT is going well, but my insurance is only wanting me to go 2 days a week now and may cut back more. I did order some adjustable weight ankle weights for home. At lest I can do my seated leg extensions at home with weights on my non PT days.
I’m still having trouble falling asleep, but it’s getting easier. I moved back into our bed since ours was too high and I was sleeping in our spare room. Our mattress is so much more comfortable, but my husband has told me that I kick a lot during the night. I never had that issue before. Hoping not to kick him tonight. Lol!

I’ve hit my 8th week of RTHR. My opposite side is really bothering me, especially since PT has gotten more intense. I know that in the future I will probably need that left hip replaced. Right now this issue is my imbalance. When I walk I’m out of kilter, which is putting a strain on that left leg/hip. I’m wondering how long I have to wait to get an injection in the left joint?

Yep. Like he says, you're probably overdoing things and it's too early in the healing process to add weights. Rest, ice, walk!

Hi Sunflower!
To ease some of the fatigue and pain you described keep this in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
@Sunflower664

Take a week off PT, you aren't helping your healing hip/muscles.
Ice & elevate for a couple of days & rest, just walk & see how you feel.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom