Bilateral THR Jad26 in recovery

Jad26

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Had my hip bilateral surgey today all went well supposedly took just over 3 hours wich im guessing means it was pretty straightforward. Starting to get sensations back in my feet can move toes currently right side is better than left but that is my stronger side so maybe thats why. There gona get me up walking tomorow morning with a aim to get me home sunday. Hope it all goes well sleeping tonight wont be fun

@Jad26 Welcome to the other side! Well done on braving BTHR.

You will notice I moved your post (above) to a recovery thread for you. Please update us on this thread.

Meanwhile, here are your recovery guidelines.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Jad26
:welome:to the Healing Side.
Everything is very much "in shock" right now so try not to worry and rest as much as possible.
I was surprised that even though my legs seemed uncooperative and oddly "disconnected" when lying down, they actually worked when they got me up to walk.
This is the tough part but All Temporary...a nice mantra for early days.

Healing Mojo coming your way, double hippy compadre.:ok:

Congrats on the new hip! I hope you slept well and get some walking in today.
Safe travels home on Sunday! Please stay in touch so we can follow your progress. :)
@Jad26

Nice, mine took 4 1/2 hrs so you’re already winning :)

Good luck and speedy recovery!

Hi all, quick update. So last night had the worst sleep as there was a very elderly patien snoring so loud all night long it kept me and others awake which wasnt great. Then my bladder was full and as i couldnt feel anything around the private area i passed urine without even knowing then they wanted to put me on a catheter which i refused as i knew the sensations were coming back this is all happening about 1 30 am. After about half hour i managed to pass urine as the sensation was coming back then after that every hour it got better and better. I did have a funny turn when standing up late last night and then again this morning blood pressure dropped was feeling all hot and sweaty had to lay down immediately. Postives now lol started drinking alot of fluids was up and about on my feet after lunchtime mangaed to go up and down stairs and can now go to and from the toilet by myself just only on crutches. Physio very happy with the progress and says im ready to go.home tomorow so fingers crossed i can go home. No funny turns blood pressure a bit low but climbing and stable. Anterior incision looks all okay and not so big also pain meds helping. So far so good apart from a few blips this morning and last night on the road to recovery

@Jad26 :wave: welcome to the healing side you seem to be doing ok. Keeping fingers crossed :fingersx: that you get to go home tomorrow. Hope you can get a little better sleep tonight.

I'm sorry you didn't have a restful nights sleep, although its pretty typical as is the fluctuating BP. Good that you passed on the catheter now that things are returning to normal. I hope you're released for home tomorrow where you will rest more comfortably. Safe travels...keep in touch!
@Jad26

Officialy discharged today. Waiting for my girlfriend to pick me up. What can i say its been a tough couple of days mentally and physically getting a bilateral hip replacement at the age of 32. Feel weak and fragile at the moment and very exhausted just want to sleep. Had a wash and changed before discharge ready to go and relax at home. Pain is ok keeping on top of the painkllers my only worry is my stomach and constipation with all this medication any ideas to help. Also im worried about if i can mix my supplemtns like calcium zinc vit d/k2 and vitamin a to help with the healing. I can walk without crutches if i really wanted to but im very stable with 2 just dont want to overdo it and is it normal to feel tired considering ive not really slept the last few nights

Hopefully you're resting comfortably at home by now. Feeling weak and fragile after major surgery is normal. Your body has been through a lot of trauma. Sleeping is the best thing for you now as our body does its best healing as we sleep.

Hopefully you are taking a stool softener in an effort to ward off constipation. As far as your stomach goes, stay adequately hydrated and if you're allowed, try taking the meds with semi solid food like applesauce or pudding. Read the inserts to see what's recommended.

As far as mixing supplements, ask you pharmacist or OS's office first. I did take a surgical support formula post op for 30 days and it did contain Calcium, Zinc, Vitamins A, C, D, E and Magnesium amongst many others. It is always best to get a nod from your Orthopedic Surgeon or Primary Care Physician first.

Use the support of crutches while you're feeling exhausted. The added security and stability they offer in these early days is worth it. Lots of comfort to you!
@Jad26

Happy you are headed home and rest as much as possible. I'd add yogurt to my routine to keep your stomach lining in check with the meds.
Don't be a hero, use the crutches, you don't want to risk falling.
Keep posting if you need anything.

I was on Miralax right away in the hospital and continued at home. I never missed a bowl movement, I guess I'm just a regular guy. As far as supplements I'd run it past the OS. Being tired is part of it, you had bilateral so you're body has had a lot of trauma.

Any recommendations on how to sit i cant really get comfortable im sitting up with legs out straight but im not use to sitting like this as before the opp i use to have pillows under my knees. Should i lay down and elevate? Any advice

I laid down and elevated my legs and also had pillow under my head.
You will find sitting to be fairly uncomfortable for awhile. It's more of a restless feeling than anything.
And ice for any pain as well as your pain meds as needed/prescribed.
I really didn't need too many pain meds but we are all different.

Hi @Jad26
I am another Bilateral hippy and I can tell you the first 10 days were definitely the toughest.:groan:
Especially trying to get comfortable and rest.
Do you have a recliner you are sitting in?
I did put a flattish pillow under my knees and tried to keep feet up as much as possible.
Ice was certainly my best friend.:ice:
Really... all the advice is wonderful but taking your pain meds On Time, staying iced up, and short walks with a walker was the way I "fogged" through it...
It is All Temporary and Does get easier.
Healing Mojo coming your way!

Hi @Jad26
I am another Bilateral hippy and I can tell you the first 10 days were definitely the toughest.:groan:
Especially trying to get comfortable and rest.
Do you have a recliner you are sitting in?
I did put a flattish pillow under my knees and tried to keep feet up as much as possible.
Ice was certainly my best friend.:ice:
Really... all the advice is wonderful but taking your pain meds On Time, staying iced up, and short walks with a walker was the way I "fogged" through it...
It is All Temporary and Does get easier.
Healing Mojo coming your way!
Thank you for reply and no i dont have a recliner chair unfortunately. I am just sitting in bed as its slightly higher than the sofa. I have been sitting up with pillows behind my back with legs out flat but after a while is not comfortable. A pillow under the knee will definitely help me but i was reading some stuff on here that says it can cause blood clots. I am having some elevated time atm with legs up straight and laying flat with ice its comfortable. Yeah these first few weeks are going to be tough things were easier at hospital as the beds u could adjust to how you like it but il get there sooner or later. I go for small weeks every hour or so its just getting up and down from the bed is the hardest part my mind is scared im going to hurt my hip if i swivel my legs round

Those legs don't seem to want to cooperate until they are on the floor...:unsure:
I was put on aspirin for the first two weeks as opposed to blood thinners, and ankle pumps while resting will also help circulation.
I have heard varying opinions on the pillow but perhaps a folded small blanket would help... and I moved my legs to different spots alot as they were not comfortable in one place for long periods...

I had to have help with moving legs on and off bed for a bit and then I used a robe belt to help when better half was not available.

Accessing the bed -
Two ideas, the first is placing a trash bag on the bed, eliminating any friction, making it easy to scooch into position, then slip out from underneath once you’re in place. This also works in the car helping you swivel to forward facing (windshield) position. I used it on the way home from my surgery site. Worked like a charm.
Second idea is using a belt, even one from a bathrobe to lift your leg onto the bed, or wherever else your leg needs a little coaching to behave in these early days.

Abundance of caution is obviously a good thing these first days, but slow mindful movement isn't going to cause harm to your stronger-than-you-think hips.

Sitting with legs at ~90 deg to torso was really hard for me (and still is a challenge for long periods at 8 weeks). Figure out a way to really elevate if you have swelling!

Things will get better, for me the “omg can I even do this” part was the first two weeks, after that it was just being patient on the slow uphill climb back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom