• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Kritterkiddo's THR Recovery

We did get a storm, but thankfully just had minor wind damage here. We are not too close to the shoreline.

Hope you've recovered from your very busy day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brrr.

Question: What should the incision feel like if it the scar tissue is properly broken up?

Thank you in advance!

All the best

The term scar tissue is misused by a lot of people and is often confused with adhesions.

Scar tissue is an essential part of the healing process. It's what holds your incision together. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.

Adhesions, on the other hand are when tissue stick together. True adhesions are rare. They can be caused by overworking the knee until the tissues becomes inflamed.

I think this article will help explain the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

Still Week 11?

Day three of the arctic blast. To keep the ferals going through this terrible cold, I am feeding several times a day to keep them full of calories while they are in their hidey holes. I feel secure in that I stocked up on all the different types of pet food and provided a storm shelter and heat lamp, but I still get moments of stress. The point to this is that my hip was hurting and as I reviewed other threads here, I put on the ice packs. And the aching went away, so my layman's conclusion is that the ache was soft tissue related.
Thanks to all who are involved in this site.
All the best!

I am so like you, I worry so much about the animals and birds in the winter. Our winters here in U.K. (apart from Scotland and northern areas) are really not that bad but still chilly enough to make you go “brrr”.
Every morning I feed the garden birds, squirrels and mice, and I feed the foxes every evening. I just feel I’m doing my bit to help them cope during the colder months.

My hip lets me know it’s still healing too. I’m now 14 weeks post surgery and doing really well but the muscles/tissues are still very tender so I’m still icing when I need to.

Well done you for looking out and caring for your ferals .

Week 12's Notes to self in case I get the other hip done and need review!!
This new hip is making my life more full of motion than I have had for a while. Along with motion, I have a whole new train of thought. I say to myself 'no problem' to make multiple trips to the garage or outside. My pace is measured heel toe.
From 6am to 1pm I am happily on the go around our home taking care of thisa n'thata. All projects within reason for healing. Measured walking, light burdens to carry, and steady reaching. Didn't I read somewhere here that cleaning is banned for eons?!! (jokin) (Dear Bonesmart if you haven't already, pls write an article banning housecleaning for months...)
After lunch I ice and nap.
Assuming we are not experiencing lousy weather, we go for a 2,500-3,500 step walk. I have these neat new 1 lb wrist weights and a walking stick which really helps with stability every once in a while.
My goal is to give this shiney new hip and the soft tissue all the opportunities that they need for a bright future.
I know others are having more difficulty than I am and I pray for their speedy recovery.
All the best!

Last edited:
@EssexGirl
Your scene sounds like beautiful stories that I read about life in a U.K. garden!

You'd love my eye surgeon! She's a highly skilled young woman who, during my first post-cataract surgery office visit, locked eyes with my husband and deadpanned "she can't clean the cat litter for six months!" :heehee:

Call me crazy but I love housework! And was so frustrated during recovery about what I couldn't do!
Regarding ferals...I'm in the take care of everything outside camp! Birds, cats, wildlife, you name it.
We just brought houses up to local college here that has feral issue. Kids get cats in their dorms then when they move out leave cats behind! Horrible!
I volunteer at dog rescue and we receive cat food donations and I use that food to feed the ferals. We don't have cats at our rescue just dogs but have taken cats in here & there.

Call me crazy but I love housework! And was so frustrated during recovery about what I couldn't do!
Regarding ferals...I'm in the take care of everything outside camp! Birds, cats, wildlife, you name it.
We just brought houses up to local college here that has feral issue. Kids get cats in their dorms then when they move out leave cats behind! Horrible!
I volunteer at dog rescue and we receive cat food donations and I use that food to feed the ferals. We don't have cats at our rescue just dogs but have taken cats in here & there.
My Hero!! :loveshwr:

What a great idea. No cleaning litter box should be added to the Hip Surgeon's list of warnings.
I cleaned the litter from the first day home: golfer's reach. Balancing on one leg holding the bag in one hand and scooping in the other. Hope I don't live to regret that!!
Come on, I know you all have done it too.

Three Months
With the change in weather from freezing to a beautiful steady light rain all day and night (Thank you Lord) and temps that rose over night into the 50s, my hip is sluggish and I expect that. I have my own personal weather forecasting device. I am glad that they don't count years according to the seasons bcuz I think we are in our second or third spring in as many months here. Seems as though I am having birthdays all the time as it is.

Two days ago I had my three month PO surgeon appmnt with a list of written questions.
My legs are within 1/8 inch length of each other but it feels like more. He said to give it a Year to resolve.

Right after seeing the PA, I went to an orthopedic to help with the pain in the ball of my right foot which seems to have to push extra when I walk. I feel lopsided. He said see a chiro for several adjustments because my hips are misaligned. When it is resolved if there is still a difference in length, he will help with a shoe lift.

Yesterday the chiropractor confirmed and treated my misaligned hips with tens, drop table method and a massager in the psoas muscle and lots of stretching and exercise instructions. I return tomorrow.

All the best!

Last edited:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Glad you're experiencing some nice weather. The weather has been far from normal in many locations across the country it seems.
Hopefully your chiropractic appointments help and you have a lovely weekend. Thanks for the update!

It is amazing the power that a diagnosis has on me. I'd been feeling like I am lopsided. However, my legs are the same length, but it turns out my hips are misaligned. What a relief!

Since learning that, I have had successful treatment without manipulation that has relaxed my sciatic area of my spine.

Taking care of my hip has turned into taking care of my hips.

I feel like my body is a Rube Goldberg Machine.

Wonderful! I've always had great results from seeing a chiropractor. Glad things are showing some improvement!

How did you know your hips are misaligned. Don't quite understand that.

Thanks.

How did you know your hips are misaligned. Don't quite understand that.

Thanks.
The orthopedic and chiro and the medical massage therapist all tested in their own ways. The hips at my spine were tight and tilted. I wish I could be more specific.
The hips were uptight and are now more relaxed. So am I.
Icing and applying heat at different times and after different activities has helped, too. Love my heated car seat!

Glad you're feeling confident after your chiropractic visits.
May it only get better. Happy Tuesday. Have a great February!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom