• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral THR My Bilateral THR Recovery

Robert M

Country
United States United States
Well, know it's still early in the game, but I had too much anxiety over hip surgery.

Apparently, it went really well. It took 1.25 hrs to complete both hip replacements. Had a spinal for my anesthesia, woke up knowing exactly where I was and what happened. Was removed to recovery area for about an hr... constant monitoring. Nurses moved me upstairs to my overnight room. Was very hungry, since I hadnt' eaten since 6:30pm last nite. No nausea. I've taken 2 tylenol so far. It's 4pm here now. I've taken 3 short walks, planning on another soon. My back is hurting, not super pain, just the feeling one might get from laying on a soft couch too long. Waist to thigh pain I'd say 2-3, but just laying here reading and playing with my phone. Nurses have already nicknamed me “Rockstar”. Guessing that's a good thing, lol.

If anyone has questions pls ask

You are a Rock Star! :yes!: It's good to read your pain is well managed and it sounds like you're resting comfortably. I'll leave our Recovery Guidelines along with best wishes and hope you'll share your bilateral recovery journey with us. I look forward to following your progress.:)

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good luck and enjoy the good pain meds while they last! Take it slow and give yourself some well earned rest over the next months.

And welcome to Club Bilateral :)

Thank you Cold Brew!! Proud to be a member of the club!! Walked quite a bit today..last walk i had a little rhythm in my step Gona try to catch some zzzzz
Nite all

@Robert M Delighted to hear it went well. Take it easy as you recover. I’ll be following you closely on your recovery journey, my bilateral THR is scheduled for April 16
Take care

Hi @Robert M aka Rockstar:yahoo:
Welcome to the healing side.

Slow and Steady, my double hippy friend...:thumb:

Welcome, sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep us posted please.

Hey Gang ! Thanks so much for the comments!!!

The nite in hospital was miserable! I could not get comfortable Got ZERO SLEEP. Id close my eyes trying to fall asleep, what felt like maybe half an hr was only 5-7 minutes . That went on thruout the nite. Got released from hospital about1:30. Came home layed on the couch , got mt feet up on my Lounge Dr , iced, feel asleep instantly. Went to bed at 8:30p feel asleep quickly . Got up 3 x for bathroom breaks . Sleeping on my back in one position is uncmfortable for me!! But this morning, i was able to roll over on my side, that wss GLORIOUS!! Fell back asleep for 45 m. Yay Pain level is a bit worse than before surgery, but at least i didnt wake up any neighbors with my cracking hips.
Plan today walking n RIce , not gona over do it!!
Thanks for all your comments! Feel like im progressing!!

@Robert M Delighted to hear it went well. Take it easy as you recover. I’ll be following you closely on your recovery journey, my bilateral THR is scheduled for April 16
Take care
Wishing n praying your surgery and recovery go great! Let us kno how it goes!!

but at least I didn't wake up any neighbors with my cracking hips.
:heehee: Hahha!

Early days and you sound pretty upbeat and optimistic. Great attitude, it will take you far!
Best Wishes for your comfort over the weekend. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Robert. :)

Brave man doing a bilateral, but it sounds like you are doing great! I have been reading several of these threads to try to get a feel for the recovery I will face after my right THR next Wednesday. My left is also on it's way out but thankfully still has some gap between the bones.

I also can't sleep on my back for very long periods of time so I was happy to see that side sleeping early on may at least be theoretically possible. But I am planning to probably live in my recliner for the first 2 weeks. If it feels up to it I may try the bed before that, however.

Sleeping on my back in one position is uncmfortable for me!! But this morning, i was able to roll over on my side, that wss GLORIOUS!! Fell back asleep for 45 m.
Thanks for all your comments! Feel like im progressing!!

Raylo , are you able to side sleep on your left side now? If so , hopefully you will be able . Ive found even a short break from being off your back helps. Im not sure how or why , but i hsd trouble side sleeping before surgery on either hip . Superfrustrating , but i found that there was a perfect spot on both hips that gave me comfort . Had to search for it awhile but it was worth it.

I get NO NIL $$ for this endorsement
But i absolutely love my Lounge Doctor!
Super comfortable n easy on my back . Great to ice n elevate at the same time. Hope you will have a great support team . I need a bit of help getting my feet to the top

Best wishes… stay in touch

Yes, I can sleep on either side now so left after surgery I hope left will work. I am normally a roller: back, side, back, side, etc. Just have to confine that to left side. I will mostly be home alone after day and night 1, but I don't expect any issues. I was 100% home alone after the knee last Sept. as soon as I got dropped off from the outpatient clinic. We had an elderly little dog... no longer with us... who needed more care then than I did.

I ordered a Lounge Doctor. I used pillows with the knee last Sept and that was less than ideal. I have read about it a lot here, but your post reminded me to go get one now.

Great
Yes, I can sleep on either side now so left after surgery I hope left will work. I am normally a roller: back, side, back, side, etc. Just have to confine that to left side. I will mostly be home alone after day and night 1, but I don't expect any issues. I was 100% home alone after the knee last Sept. as soon as I got dropped off from the outpatient clinic. We had an elderly little dog... no longer with us... who needed more care then than I did.

I ordered a Lounge Doctor. I used pillows with the knee last Sept and that was less than ideal. I have read about it a lot here, but your post reminded me to go get one now.

Sounds like you are doing just amazing! It took me awhile to get back on my side but I adjusted to the back sleeping after awhile.
Keep us posted on your recovery, you are off to a great start.

Hello kiddos! Hope you all are doing well
and sucessfully working thru any existing issues you may be experiencing.
Had a great nights sleep. Rotated between back and left hip. Im not quite as stiff as yesterday, off oxi , just taking Tylenol.

Before surgery, my rite foot was pretty pigeon toed, not quite as bad after surgery, thats one thing ive been working on. This morning it seemed like i didnt have to concentrate on keeping my right foot straight…. Making progress there! So far, extremely satisfied w my progess. Weather here is beautiful , planning on a short stroll outside just to get out of the house. Naturally, ill be careful!
Best wishes to everyone!!

Hi @Robert M -- wondering if you'd like to change your thread title to something more general since you are now a bit more than 7 hours post-op! Let us know and we'll update it for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom