• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR My Story (long)

By the way.... close to 8 years post-op and still a happy active grateful double hippy:chuckmarch:

We will be here wishing you many more happy active years!

23 April, right before my 63rd birthday
Thanks for the date -- I've changed your signature to reflect it.

Just think, you'll have 2 things to celebrate: your birthday and your new hip!

I am going to take a week of vacation before my surgery and my wife and I will spend some time in some state park cabins. It should be nice a quiet before the big day. Normally I'd do some trail running or hiking, but both of those have become too painful so I'll be reading and sitting by a camp fire. I can't complain about that. Along with this vacation, I'm going to be away from work for almost 6 or 7 weeks total, depending on how my recovery goes. I have plenty of sick leave saved up, so no problem there.

I was reading the information the doctor gave me at my initial appointment, and I'm supposed to take celebrex 5 days before the surgery. I had not noticed that, so I have to make sure I get my prescription before we leave. I'm glad I read that before I left on my trip.

Right now I don't have a post-op appointment. I called the surgeon's office and was told that after my surgery, someone would call me to make an appointment with a PA four weeks after the surgery. That seems like a long time but I guess that's the way they do things. I'm not sure when I can take the bandage off or if I just wait until it falls off on its own.

I have a pre-op appointment at the surgery center in two weeks. I think that visit will focus on checking my health to ensure that I'm in good enough shape for the surgery, and won't be to address these questions. If I accumulate enough questions I'll call the doctor again.

@trailrunner as I get ready for hip #2 replacement I have been reading your journey towards your April surgery. I hope that you enjoy some time away and can forget all the worries. Before surgery #1 I had a long list of stuff that worried me 1. A tiny sore on my neck (would it infect my hip? No.) 2. Would I be able to get to the bathroom at night without waking up my 80 year old husband? (Yes, no problem). 3. Would I be able to control the pain? (Yup, only took 7 Oxys, the rest has been Tylenol and mostly for the other dang hip). Plus a bunch of other daily fusses about doing PT on one leg while the other hip was falling apart, getting the proper balance of fiber in my diet, wanting to drive again, wanting to swim, etc. etc. Now I’m 5 days from hip #2 and I’m only worried about getting my laundry done and making desserts for an early Easter gathering with the grandkids. I truly believe that you will do fine with the surgery and soon be giving advice on how to manage the anxiety that it creates. Enjoy your vacation.

Hi. We just want to clarify that they specifically said that they want you to take Celebrex pre-op. It's an unusual pre-op med.

Hi. We just want to clarify that they specifically said that they want you to take Celebrex pre-op. It's an unusual pre-op med.
Yes. I have a page describing my medications. For celecoxib (celebrex) there is a hand written note that says "5 days before surgery." At the top of the page, it says "the only drugs taken before surgery are the anti-inflammatory medication (celecoxib...)."

@trailrunner as I get ready for hip #2 replacement I have been reading your journey towards your April surgery. I hope that you enjoy some time away and can forget all the worries... I truly believe that you will do fine with the surgery and soon be giving advice on how to manage the anxiety that it creates. Enjoy your vacation.
Thanks for your kind words.

Ok, thank you!!!!

I had a reminder today of how much my hip has degraded.

Nowadays I mostly work from home, but today I had a meeting in DC, so I took the metro. I didn't have to walk too far from my car to the train platform, or from the train to my meeting. But even with this short distance, I was limping and almost every step had some degree of chronic pain. Since my condition has deteriorated over a long time, I've accommodated it and learned to live with it: it's the new normal for me.

My train ride took me by stops I used to use before COVID, when I mostly used metro for my commute. Depending on where I was working, once I got off the train, I had to walk between a half to one and a half miles to get to my office, and I'd reverse that at the end of the day going home. Sometimes I'd have to walk even further than that, or I'd have to do it an extra time in the middle of the day if I had to go to a meeting. Back then I never minded the walking. It was good exercise, and at the end of the day it was a good chance to clear my mind.

But today, when the train stopped at the stations I used to use, it brought back memories of all that walking. And today, the thought of the walk from the station to one of my old offices made my hip hurt just thinking about it. If I had to walk that far twice a day right now, I'd be miserable and mentally worn out - and my hip would be in even worse shape from the extra wear and tear.

Yowza. Glad your surgery date approaches!

Today, the thought of the walk from the station to one of my old offices made my hip hurt
I truly can relate to this! As my hip went from bad to worse, I needed a cane just to get to the mailbox. Even the thought of walking to the surgeon's office from the parking lot made me cringe in anticipate of the pain.

Hope these next two weeks go by quickly so you can begin to focus on recovery. We'll be here to support you on that journey.

I feel your pain reading your latest post. Thankfully relief is on the way.
Hang in there, only two weeks to go now before you begin your journey back to enjoying life without the pain of a deteriorating hip.
Lots of comfort to you!
@trailrunner

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads