• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR My Story (long)

Yesterday I realized something during my hike. One of the reasons I have extra anxiety about my upcoming surgery is that the last time I was in a hospital was April 2020. My mother had caught covid and unfortunately passed away. Even though we were in the thick of covid at that time, the hospital allowed me to be with her all afternoon on her last day (which I appreciate very much). My surgery will be at a different facility, but the surroundings, the equipment, the bed, the monitors, and the staff in their scrubs will bring back those very painful memories. I think this has been in the back of my mind since I first realized that I was going to have surgery, but I only now realized how this has been affecting my feelings about it. I probably sound like a basket case, but when I need to be strong I will be.
Don't feel weird about this. The last time I was in a hospital was last year, alone after breaking my pelvis in another country. And not only that, I was isolated for Covid. Everyone in the ward that I could see was old, screaming for help, suffering with open wounds, and I spent a lot of time in uncertainty, not seeing doctors or sure if I was going to have surgery while trapped in a foreign country with little but a backpack of stuff to myself. I was unwashed and getting heat rash, trapped in a bed.

Those feelings of what it's like to be in a hospital and in those surroundings get to me too.

It's just worth being mindful that it's not going to be the same. You'll likely be in and out of there pretty quickly. On the mend. You get to prepare for this instead of be stuck in uncertainty.

Best wishes. I'm likely close to about a month or so away from surgery, and sharing your fears as well.

I had a pre-op appointment with a nurse this morning. She was a little argumentative. I was the first patient on a Monday morning, so maybe she was tired from the weekend. I tried to be very pleasant to her, but she seemed to pick little fights with me. (Honestly, I'm a nice guy.) This went on during the visit but I just let it go. Towards the end of the visit she explained in detail how I wasn't supposed to eat anything solid within 8 hours of my arrival time. OK, got it. Then she said the morning of surgery I could have water, coffee, or clear liquids as long as it wasn't within two hours of my arrival time. That's different from all my previous surgeries, but OK, got it. Then she gave me some sort of sports drink and said I had to drink it the morning of surgery, but not within two hours of my arrival time. I said I'm a little surprised I can have that because I thought there was a chance I could throw up anything during surgery, and she practically yelled at me "well, I don't know if you WILL throw it up or not!!!!" OK, ok, I got it. Sorry for talking. She also told me that when I got my spinal, there would be a tube, like an IV, in my back during the procedure, and they would constantly administer anesthesia through that. That sounds more like an epidural than a spinal, but whatever. I didn't say anything when she told me that.

I also had a blood and urine test. Everything looks fine. Back in May, the surgeon wanted me to have a vitamin D test, which I did. I was just a little low, so I've been taking vitamin D since then. I would have thought that they would have re-tested that this morning, but they didn't.

Meanwhile my hip isn't getting any better. I tried to go for an easy bike ride yesterday, but it was uncomfortable and painful from the start. I began to worry that I was going to mess up my good leg from overcompensating, or I'd mess up my knee on my bad leg. I just wasn't enjoying it. So I turned around. Together with my my unpleasant ride earlier in the week, I'm about ready to give up biking until the surgery. Oh well.

Next step is a pre-op visit with the surgeon in two weeks.

So here's my question for the day: It seems a lot of the healing and rehab is to get the soft tissue, such as muscles, healed and back in order. I think this damage comes from all the twisting that is involved during the procedure. If this is the case, is massage every part of recovery? It seems like that would help realign the muscles, promote good flow, and facilitate healing. Sure, it would have to be very gentle at first and otherwise appropriate for the stage of recovery. Just a thought.

@dw152 Ugh, sorry you had to have such a sour person doing your pre op this morning! And those pre op instructions do sound a bit confusing. If you need further clarification do call your surgeon's office and ask to speak to either his nurse or assistant. They would be able to clarify things for you. I swear sometime with big health systems their right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing (metaphorically speaking). With my last shoulder replacement surgery I was given 3 very different sets of instructions about using 3 different products for the pre op body wash. Sigh! Fortunately my surgeon's assistant was able to sort that out but what a royal pain in the ....

As for getting muscles back into shape .... it is partly because of the trauma of having surgery but also because of the way they had to move in not normal ways while you have been limping with a deteriorating hip. Massage can be quite helpful .... but wait until you've healed before doing that. I think It was about 6 months after my BTHR that I went for a first massage and it did help a lot. Others have gotten massages sooner than that. You just don't want to discombobulate healing incision and inner tissues.

:wave: @dw152
I'm also sorry to hear you ended up with Nurse Ratchet for your appointment....she sounds like she was having a bad day and taking it out on you.:blackcloud:
Then she gave me some sort of sports drink and said I had to drink it the morning of surgery,
Seen alot more of this instruction over the past 5 years... I think it is so you will be hydrated and helps alleviate low BP issues common directly post-op.

She also told me that when I got my spinal, there would be a tube, like an IV, in my back during the procedure, and they would constantly administer anesthesia through that. That sounds more like an epidural than a spinal, but whatever
Yes, a spinal is normally a single injection vs epidural where a catheter is used.:what:
Interestingly, spinal and epidurals CAN be used together....
Don't blame you for not asking her...possibly she is mistaken but you can clarify with your surgeon.

Meanwhile my hip isn't getting any better. I tried to go for an easy bike ride yesterday, but it was uncomfortable and painful from the start. I began to worry that I was going to mess up my good leg from overcompensating, or I'd mess up my knee on my bad leg.

Yes, I'm sorry...but I think you are smart not to continue trying to ride with that bad hip... you are close now and if you can get outside and just baby that hip, the good old sun will help keep your Vitamin D in check.
Time drags when you are waiting for surgery with bad hips... stay healthy and try not to worry

Just checking in.

Surgery is scheduled two weeks from now. I'm still apprehensive about the whole thing. Instead of dreaming about it, now I'm waking up thinking about it. I'm not sleeping well. Two weeks. It's getting real.

On the positive side, the in-home therapist visited my home last week. Scheduling it through Kaiser didn't go smoothly, but when I met her it all turned out good. She was very positive and I got along well with her. She is familiar with my doctor and said that she is good. When she was at my house, she saw my small gym, and then she saw all my bikes. She said that because I am active and in pretty good shape, I should have a good recovery. She was already warning me not to overdo it.

Last week I did a short run-walk with a friend. He is just a bit older than me. When I first started running with him, I could barely keep up. But since then, he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's, and our runs are more social than hard exercise. He remains positive and very active, which puts my hip problem in perspective. He told me that an older woman (older than the two of us) at his climbing gym had hip replacement and is back to climbing.

A while ago I asked about how they align all the components to get it right and, in particular, how they can correct small leg-length discrepancies. I stumbled across a few videos on the templating procedure. I'm an engineer type so I thought it was interesting, and it reassured me. I mostly understand it now. I realize most people wouldn't care about this, but I just have a very natural curiosity about things like this (I used to drive my mother crazy asking "why" and "how" about everything).

Since my last two bike rides were so uncomfortable, I've given up outdoor rides until after I recover. :sad: I might try an indoor ride, and will try to get a few pool swims in. My other goal before the surgery is to get one more hike in. When I walk, my leg is getting stiffer and I'm limping more. Usually it will loosen up a bit, but the limp is still there. My knee on my bad side also seems to be getting stiff.

My work situation has a few concerns. My workplace is pretty supportive and all is good there. This is the busy time of year, and another person on our team is taking another assignment, so we're a little short handed. I was pretty firm about the time off I will require. However, I applied for a promotion. I truly don't care if I get it -- I'm happy in my current position and I've had the higher position before -- but I was sort of expected to apply for it. It just complicates things.

Instead of dreaming about it, now I'm waking up thinking about it. I'm not sleeping well.
I think most of us can relate to this. It's hard and reflecting back on the thoughts and feelings leading up to surgery...my heart goes out to you. I understand this is cold comfort, but many of us say it afterward. If we only knew what it was going to be like ahead of time, we wouldn't have stressed like we did. You will be in great hands and soon enough focusing on healing and getting back to all you love, without the pain or the limitations you're currently dealing with. Keep in touch, we're with you all the way!

My other goal before the surgery is to get one more hike in. When I walk, my leg is getting stiffer and I'm limping more. Usually it will loosen up a bit, but the limp is still there. My knee on my bad side also seems to be getting stiff.
A quick rec - if you are not doing it already, start using a cane or poles most of the time when you are walking. I only did this at the very end when I stopped going to pool for exercise (local COVID surge) and went back to walking (ouch). The cane will reduce some of the unbalanced wear and tear (don't think it will get rid of the
faulty gait at this stage) and you're going to have to get used to it anyway during recovery - it's hard on the arms, wrist, and unoperated side upper body in general.

This week I've been attending a professional tennis tournament. Being there in person and watching the players run, cut, and stop made my hip hurt, but it also made me want to get back out there. Hard to believe I was running and playing that aggressively before I developed my hip problem.

Andy Murray is in the tournament, and I watched him play (and win) yesterday. He had his hip resurfaced in early 2019, and has returned to full form. He will probably never return to his peak of when he was younger, but that's probably due to age, and even then he's still doing well.

Aggressive tennis playing might be tough on new hips, but then...so would running a Marathon and we have a member who does just that...
There can be varying opinions on the wisdom of pursuing a return to sports that hard on joints, but
I would say it is in the realm of possibility...
Check out the pre-op article Layla left you at the beginning of this thread under amazing hip recoveries...it has several articles about Andy Murray.
Hope you have a good day!

So here's my question for the day: It seems a lot of the healing and rehab is to get the soft tissue, such as muscles, healed and back in order. I think this damage comes from all the twisting that is involved during the procedure. If this is the case, is massage every part of recovery? It seems like that would help realign the muscles, promote good flow, and facilitate healing. Sure, it would have to be very gentle at first and otherwise appropriate for the stage of recovery. Just a thought.
Do you already use a good Licensed Massage Therapist? If you already have someone that you know and trust then start the massages whenever you feel comfortable.
A good LMT will know to avoid your incision area but there's plenty of other muscles, attachments that can use some comforting. I opted to start mine at around 2-3 weeks post op. Just having a skilled touch, while gently working my leg was so helpful and will stress again,, no work near or over the incision line.
Plus I did my own gentle Lymphatic Drainage techniques to help with swelling and inflammation.

Oh and my neck.. it's always an issue for me and the limping around for months took it's toll there too.
But you have to find someone who is skilled in post op massages and knows to start gently. If that's not possible then at 6 weeks you should be in a better position to begin them. As you heal, the massage for thigh muscles and ITB into the knee is so helpful.

P.S. You have time to get a massage now! Especially if you want to build a rapport with someone to use post op. Well, if you can get scheduled.. my schedule was always booked out 4-6 weeks. But you might find an opening since it's August and vacation time.

Plus I did my own gentle Lymphatic Drainage techniques to help with swelling and inflammation.
The idea of getting some massage sounds good to me at this point - I think it would do me some good in the back (even in the other leg) and carefully around the healing leg. Any advice on finding such a therapist appreciated - the ones I know/trust are practicing deep tissue work (NO!) but I haven't talked to them about other expertise.

What did you do for lymphatic drainage - this seems to be a persistent issue for me. A compression sock on left leg seems to help the buildup in the foot/ankle (not completely) but there's also a lumpy sore area above the knee. The thigh / incision area seems about normal.

Honestly, any therapist should be able to adjust their pressure from deep work to therapeutic/gentle. I'd discuss it with them first and go from there.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is another,separate modality altogether. It's great for easing edema and inflammation post op. It's best to look for someone who is certified in MLD-The Vodder Technique-

I put together a small sequence for our members here and will share it with you. Mind you, it can get boring to do.. but hey.. if used often, can be very effective. I will find your recovery thread and post it there for you. @nasruddin

Do you already use a good Licensed Massage Therapist?
Yes, I was seeing someone for about a year in a futile attempt to fix my hip. She is a professional and licensed. She offers a service for lymphatic drainage, and mentions this technique is appropriate after surgery. For some reason, that is her most expensive appointment.

Well, if you can get scheduled.. my schedule was always booked out 4-6 weeks.
This will be the biggest problem for me too. I had to book my appointments at least a month out. I have no idea when I'll be ready for a massage after the surgery (or even when I'll be able to drive), so it would be hard to schedule anything.

I had the final pre-op appointment with the surgeon this morning.

On the positive side, I have complete confidence in her ability. She said she's done 100s of these, and was rated as a top orthopedic surgeon by a local magazine. That rating probably doesn't mean that much, but it just adds a little confidence.

I also mentioned to her that I had had shoulder surgery when I was younger. She said that she thought the recovery from shoulder surgery was worse than hip surgery, which is encouraging. On the other hand, she didn't ask what I had done to my shoulder so I'm not sure why she said that. But I'll take that as a positive sign.

She said that I could shower at any time, assuming I can actually get into the shower. She said that I can drive whenever I'm off narcotics. I have a stick shift but I also have an automatic.

On the less than positive side, she told me no running. Period. That was a bit of a blow. She said it would wear out the cup, and furthermore, by wearing it out, it creates small particles that will also cause the metal part of the cup to get loose from the bone. I was aware of the first risk but was not aware of the second risk. But then she told me I could play tennis, pickleball, and that I could run the bases playing softball (which I never play). I tried to clarify and say that I wouldn't run any more marathons, but could I run shorter distances?, but she just said over and over that's not what this procedure is designed for. I got a little quiet and was obviously taken aback, but she just asked if I had any more questions. Yeah, I get it - facts are facts. But ouch. Sometime during the conversation she said biking was fine but if did longer distances my hip flexor would hurt. I wanted to ask her if that was a permanent thing and what she meant by long distance but at that point I was getting confused and didn't want to appear argumentative with her. I don't know - maybe she's just trying to manage my expectations, but that conversation sure left me feeling down.

The first time I had seen her back in April, she was describing the technique (which will be anterior), and I am 100 percent sure she said that she would cut some ligaments that form a capsule around the head of the femur. After that appointment I starting thinking about that, and today, I started to ask her if she repairs those ligaments after she cuts them. Today when I asked her, she said doesn't cut those ligaments. She said nothing is cut, just moved out of the way. I think the reason I was worried about that is that when I was younger, I had surgery on my shoulder because it kept dislocating, and the procedure was to tighten up those ligaments. With all the concern on hip dislocation, I was just curious about that. I know I shouldn't worry about these types of technical details, but I do.

She told me the second week of recovery will be worse than the first week. I'm just assuming the first two weeks will be rough. She also told me that I shouldn't be surprised if I have significant bruising all the way down to my feet during those two weeks.

I asked her what medicine or drugs I'll need to take after the surgery. She told me I'd be taking two types of pain killers (I forget what they are but she said they weren't narcotics) and that I should take them for 14 days. She suggested that I don't take the two pills at the same time, but sort of interleave them so one is always active. Good idea. She also said she'd give me a prescription for oxycontin, which I should take as needed. She also said I should take baby aspirin for a while (I forget how long). When my wife had surgery, she had to inject herself afterwards to prevent clotting, but my doctor told me the aspirin would take care of that, and that I'd be wearing compression socks for a while. That was good news - taking aspirin is more pleasant than giving myself a shot.

Whew. In the meantime, I continue to be pretty inactive. My weight and blood pressure are creeping up, even though I'm doing my best to watch my diet. I was walking around the tennis tournament this week, and my groin and thigh have low-level, but constant soreness, and I have to concentrate to walk without a limp. That makes it hard to deny my situation. My wife has been super supportive and has told me that I'll come out stronger.

As a commentary, it's a little frustrating that the discussion and decision to have surgery, and all other details, is based on two, hurried 20 minute appointments. I realize there is more to it - there are the x-rays that provide a definitive diagnosis and the doctor has lots of experience - but this is the first time for me, and I feel like everything is rushed and I should just be quiet and do what I'm told. It will work out in the end and I shouldn't expect someone to hold my hand, and I realize that now I'm just whining. But thanks for reading. :)

ETA: Just after I posted this, I received a follow up report from her. Included in this report is this statement: Stressed that a hip replacement is not designed for higher impact activities and that activities like tennis, running,high impact biking may still be painful. Also, they increase risk of early wear. That's not really what she said and now I'm really confused. I thought she said tennis and biking were approved activities. Hopefully she is just managing expectations. I need to stop overthinking this.

Last edited:
@dw152 I am glad to hear that you like the surgeon and have confidence in her abilities. In my experience though quite a few surgeons who are terrific at surgery do not have a comprehensive understanding of the full recuperation process. The first rule of recuperation is HEAL FIRST, THEN STRENGTHEN/TRAIN. If you go over to the Social room here ( under the Community heading) you will see a very lengthy thread on bike riding - we have many many folks who return to riding their bikes after hip replacement (and knee replacements too) and do so without much difficulty. And we have had folks return to vigorous sports and physically demanding jobs. Everyone is different and each journey through joint replacement is unique! Please do not dwell on the "limitations" recommended by the surgeon. When I had both of my hips replaced at the same time (I was 64yo and NOT very athletic) my surgeon, when he discharged me from his active practice, told me that my only permanent restriction was "NO Bungie cord jumping" -- anything else I wanted to do was fine with him!

So plan on giving your stash of patience a vigorous work out! Allow your self to fully heal ( not just incision but all the internal pieces as well) before trying to do any vigorous training - and that process can take 6-12 weeks ( your experience may vary!). And know that present day implants are expected to last for 30+ years!

I am glad to hear that you like the surgeon and have confidence in her abilities. In my experience though quite a few surgeons who are terrific at surgery do not have a comprehensive understanding of the full recuperation process.
That's an interesting observation that never would have occurred to me.

I wonder if my surgeon is constrained by the official policy of my HMO (Kaiser), i.e., she will only say what they allow her to say? If she were to tell me that it's ok to go out and run, she would get in trouble with her Kaiser bosses.

The first rule of recuperation is HEAL FIRST, THEN STRENGTHEN/TRAIN.
Yes indeed. I learned that with my shoulder operation 30+ years ago. The PTs I had were wonderful, and worked on getting my range of motion back. They said I could get my strength back later.

If you go over to the Social room here ( under the Community heading) you will see a very lengthy thread on bike riding - we have many many folks who return to riding their bikes after hip replacement (and knee replacements too) and do so without much difficulty.
I will check that out. Thanks.

And we have had folks return to vigorous sports and physically demanding jobs. Everyone is different and each journey through joint replacement is unique! Please do not dwell on the "limitations" recommended by the surgeon. When I had both of my hips replaced at the same time (I was 64yo and NOT very athletic) my surgeon, when he discharged me from his active practice, told me that my only permanent restriction was "NO Bungie cord jumping" -- anything else I wanted to do was fine with him!
I think ultimately the decision is mine. I understand the issues and the risks.

So plan on giving your stash of patience a vigorous work out! Allow your self to fully heal ( not just incision but all the internal pieces as well) before trying to do any vigorous training - and that process can take 6-12 weeks ( your experience may vary!). And know that present day implants are expected to last for 30+ years!
I learned patience when I was training for a big event. I didn't get the fitness to run a 50 mile race in just one week - it came from weeks, months, and even years of training. I've read a lot of the recovery stories here and will do my best not to join the ODIC.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi my soon to be hippy cohort! :wave:
Just to add...
Yes indeed. I learned that with my shoulder operation 30+ years ago. The PTs I had were wonderful, and worked on getting my range of motion back. They said I could get my strength back later
I HAVE noticed that some new hippies that have had former joint surgeries (shoulder, knee) where ROM seems to be such an important focus, don't realize that new hips don't need that much stress early months out.
Tightness is a consequence of the hip surgery and lack of ROM is not to be defined by this tightness... in fact it is helpful, IMO, so that in those initial early days of healing, you allow the new hip to form the capsule and affix properly.
Hips do a good job of healing on their own if we let them.
Improving strength and ROM should be done incrementally....

She told me the second week of recovery will be worse than the first week.
Not necessarily. I get a feeling she's trying to cover all bases, highlighting worst case scenarios. Same thought with the bruising. Can it be as she says? Yes, but maybe not even half that bad.
As a commentary, it's a little frustrating that the discussion and decision to have surgery, and all other details, is based on two, hurried 20 minute appointments.
I was troubled by the same. It wasn't like I expected my OS to take me out to dinner, but it felt strangely uncomfortable to schedule my surgery, allowing this guy to cut into my leg and replace my natural hip with a prosthetic one, after a 20 minute office visit...just as you said! Boy, I can relate to that one.

One week to go and you'll be in healing mode. I wish you comfort as you await the 15th.

@dw152 I don't think it's a Kaiser "thing" -- all of my surgeries were done by Kaiser surgeons. The shoulder ones seemed to have a much better understanding of recuperation process than my hip guy. All were excellent surgeons and all my recuperations were without problems, and outcomes have been excellent.

As for the short appointments -- LOL yup! My first appointment with hip surgeon started with him coming into the exam room and saying "Ms M I've reviewed your xrays and medical records. The only thing I can offer you is hip replacement. And I recommend you have both done at once". No exam, no discussion. And from my POV I had only been experiencing the right hip as really messed up - the left seemed OK to me. But xray showed it was nearly as deteriorated as the right. After that first visit I did not see him again until a week before the surgery for the "informed consent" discussion and review of all the pre op stuff. All told I had 3 office appointments with him plus the surgery and several in hospital visits (back in 2011 things were different and I was in the hospital for 5 days). This is, I think, a pro and a con about the Kaiser system. They are all very busy, appointment times tend to be short but they do have a wonderfully comprehensive medical charting system so it is very easy for all doctors to view films, labs, past medical reports, pharmacy information, etc.

Interesting conversation you had @dw152 - seems that each surgeon is truly unique in how they view THR and what they will say about future activities. I ran for a while in my late 30s/early 40s as I was training for obstacle races, but I was usually just doing 4-7 miles at a time; not a marathon by any stretch. I quit when my hip started bothering me and I moved on to kickboxing which is low impact, but requires mobility (which was diminishing year by year). I also played tennis, hiked and backyard volleyball -- again all on a diminishing scale with my hips getting worse.

After my two hip surgeries, my surgeon said to avoid "extreme yoga" but that was about it. To be fair, I didn't specifically bring up running. Here is an interesting video by a top surgeon on what they expect and what they are starting to see on hip replacement longevity with the newer materials that have been in place for the last 10-15 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQloOIiZvQI

In short, he says the new cross-linked polyethylene can last as long as 75 years (!) based on observed wear patterns to the plastic. Now, that doesn't speak to other issues that can go wrong, but if we are just speaking about the liner wearing out, it should outlive just about anyone who has an implant. Food for thought.

Edit: Here's another doctor from the respected Rothman Institute talking about all things hip replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKF_TphK7Q. At about 1:30, he says people can do anything they want after 3 months except that he wouldn't necessarily recommend long distance running, but he notes that many patients are returning to that sport.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks