• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I saw the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and my x-rays all looked good. I used my cane and he was pleased. I showed him how I walk without the cane and he reassured me, it would get better. He told me I have a lot of scar tissue (which he said was normal) where the incisions are and to "massage the hell out of it!" He said, I might want to even get a massage. What is that oil that BoneSmart used to recommend for the incisions?
I told him we would be going on a cruise in September...I ask if my leg would be OK? He said, "my leg was golden!; they could throw me overboard over the ship and my leg wouldn't break!!!" lol
My left hip is still sore but he wasn't worried.

20230602_183822.jpg

Wow! That is some fancy hardware your sportin‘ :wink:
It sounds like you had a reassuring visit with your surgeon! Thank you for sharing an update.

Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

The one exception to the guidance in regard to applying products topically over your incision is a product called ACTIVE AntiMicrobial Hydrogel Spray. This product contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. Discuss its use with your surgeon before using it. You will find a link at the top right of the page in a sidebar ad you can click on.

I highlighted Bio Oil above because I’m guessing that’s what you were asking about. I hope this helps.

Best Wishes as you continue the journey! @Cementless

Layla’s right….the BioOil will work well if you are massaging the area around your incision to try and keep scar tissue at bay. Although not everyone has this kind of problem with a tendency to develop excess scar tissue, for some folks it is a real problem. Be sure to keep your knee “cool” as this helps too. That means using ice frequently and not overdoing exercise or therapy to the point that your tissue becomes inflamed (hot). Inflammation tends to dry out the soft tissues, making them more likely to stick together in places where they should be moist and glide smoothly over one another.

I’m glad to hear you‘re doing well, though….really GREAT news!

@Layla and @Jamie , my plate surgery was on April 20th...just now at the 6 weeks mark. The incisions are pink but not infected. Still on the tender side. It does help to massage the area. It now feels good to sleep on that side. I don't remember having this much scar tissue with the other surgeries. I thought maybe the sutures were too tight but the ortho said no.
I do know for a fact that his PA closed me up and did the suturing. Where do I buy the Bio oil...Amazon or BoneSmart?

Hi Cementless,
I’m sure you can purchase the Bio Oil from Amazon. Also, I am guessing Target, Walmart, or any drugstore chain like Walgreen’s or CVS will likely carry it also.
A peaceful evening to you!
@Cementless

On the right sidebar you will see this. You can click on it and it and it will take to the bio-oil site.

Partial Revision Failure

We only recommend the hydrogel per the link above.

@Jaycey, you are referring to the ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hyrogel? Where do I buy it? I clicked on the link and did not see the exact product that @sistersinhim recommends. OK, I found the link, but it looks like a spray. I wanted a gel to rub on my scars when I massage it. Does it come in a gel?

Last edited:
is it better to get the Bio oil with Vit E?
I used the Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E and really liked it.
I have Bio Oil also, but it felt too oily for me. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Partial Revision Failure
This is what I used. Click on the image and it should expand.

When Can I Safely Put Lotions And Creams On My Incision?
Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

Have a great rest of the day! :)

Stopping by to say Hi Cementless. :wave:
I hope you're doing well on this three month anniversary since your procedure.
With any luck you're staying cool in that southern heat. A great rest of the week to you! :)
@Cementless

@Layla , it has been 2 months today, since the orthopedic dr. put the support plate on my femur. I'm doing better but have a long way to go. I still use a cane and hobble which is discouraging. On July 4th, it will be 6 months since I fell.
Btw: I love Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion, unscented!
I also think, I am depressed and have PTS from the fall.
Thanks for thinking of me!!!

Whoopsie, I meant two :wink: Sorry about that.
I'm glad you like the Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion, but sad to read you're depressed.
It is understandable that you are dealing with some post traumatic stress from the fall. However, you like and trust your surgeon and he said all was golden. Try to remind yourself of that when your thoughts start drifting into the bad place. You have a lovely vacation coming up that you can research and focus on. Anything to keep you from dwelling on the "what ifs". You are healing and if it takes a little longer, that's okay. I hope you know that we care and we're always here for you to offer encouragement and support. I'm sending a hug with best wishes for peace of mind and perfect healing. You will get there, it just takes time. :console2:
@Cementless

Sounds like you are doing well given all you have been through, but understandable you are fed up and frightened of falling. I am a few years younger but I have had a few falls and they really knock the confidence.
There is no shame in using a stick- so long as you walk straight. I have given up on bifocal glasses as I felt they contributed to my falls. I am also using a neoprene knee sleeve on my bare leg in hot weather- as I am frightened of grazing my knee/ infection risk if I fell.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom