• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Recovery Diary

The charge nurse and I just found out that the hospital was only giving me 7 mg of Vicodin/Narco, while the prescription I was sent home with was 10 mg of Vicodin/Narco. When I'm in pain at the hospital, or attempting physical therapy there, they should give me 10 mg. She'll increase the dose to 10 mg next time.

I am finally back home, but this is just the beginning.

I bought some lidocaine patches to help with pain, which seems localized to a lot of different areas around my body, but a friend strongly urged me not to use them, as "they might impair healing". I told her that I would not be replacing the surgical dressing with them, only applying them to other nearby painful areas. After THR, there is also pain in my non-operative hip, lower back, shoulders and elbows.

I also found this study which was inconclusive.

Please check in with your surgeon about the use of the patches AND if you're wanting to use multiple patches definitely call in to your primary care doc about maximum safe dosage of topical lidocaine. It IS systemically absorbed.

Well, I lean towards self-care if I can, and it's hard to contact doctors sometimes. If they ask me what drugs I take, I will list lidocaine patches.

From my research and anecdotal experience, lidocaine skin patches do not present a high risk of overdose even if more than one is used at once in different locations, but if you are very concerned about that, then single lidocaine patches can be cut up into smaller pieces before their adhesive liner is removed, because they use a matrix instead of a reservoir delivery system.

Lidocaine patches can be used to treat neuropathy which isn't reduced by opioids. There is a lot of literature about their efficacy after arthroplastic surgery, but the results are mixed. I have had significant neuropathy symptoms after my THR, so anything to take the edge off is welcome, whether lidocaine patches, Gabapentin, Pregablin, etc.

I have used lidocaine patches many times in the past, during post-surgery or long after surgery, and I have not had any bad side effects.

I got back to work this week (I work from home on a computer).

I mowed my yard (4 acres) with a zero-turn riding mower (not a push mower -- that would be hell!!!) A zero-turn mower does not require any use of the legs, since it's totally controlled by the arms. The seat vibration should help with circulation near the hip -- it's almost like a massager.

I bought an Ergobaum 7G forearm crutch/cane with an arm cuff and ergonomic handle, which is more comfortable than a regular cane, walker, or underarm crutches. I don't need a crutch, cane or walker to walk, but it may help when walking long distances.

I got a prescription for muscle relaxer (methocarbamol) because the thigh often cramps or stiffens up,

Please be careful not to overdo it, @ldk! You are still very early days and it's important to take things slowly or you may inhibit your recovery.

My surgeon warned me that people who push themselves too soon are the ones who end up unhappy with their outcome -- and the people who take things slowly generally have the best results.

I can see where you’re coming from with the idea that vibration of a mower might help with circulation. But I’m not too sure about the science that would support that. What I do know is that a couple of hours of vibration like that could irritate tender soft tissues in your hip that’s trying to heal. So, please be careful with this type of activity so soon after surgery. If you have acreage to mow, try doing it in small spurts where you are only doing the activity for an hour or less at a time.

So, how did you feel on Saturday and today after your mowing adventure?

Sorry for the late reply.

I felt fine after mowing. I was only mentioning the vibration as a side topic. There is no one else to mow my yard, so I take it very seriously. I had no pain or difficulty in mowing with a 0-turn riding mower. There was no need to pace it.

The mowing was timely, because we had massive flooding last week and even still today, so it's going to be at least 2 weeks before we can mow again.

I don't need assistive devices to walk, but walking long distances is a little painful.

I go for a post-operative x-ray tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes if you care to share.
Have a great week!
@ldk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom