• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Revision THR Revision needed after left THR

Betmer

Country
United States United States
I had a left total hip replacement done on 4-9-24 and I noticed a leg length discrepancy. On my 2 week checkup X-rays were done and my doctor stated that the discrepancy was such that it would not resolve on its own. It was seriously like a 2 inch difference. My doctor said I had to have a revision done immediately. So on 4-26-24 I had a revision done on my hip. I am now recovering from that but am struggling. I am now anemic from having both surgeries done back to back and am in a lot of pain. I am frustrated with my doctor and I am struggling with depression now. How could such a mistake be made?

@Betmer Hi and Welcome!

I’m so sorry you’ve had to have a revision right away.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogelthrough BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. Here is a week-by-week guide
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I'm no expert but that seems just very unusual. Yes, leg length discrepancy is quite common after hip replacement but usually takes care of itself in a few months. Two inches does seem like a lot but generally your legs are measured before final closing to be sure they are pretty close to same length.
Did you ask about this? Curious to know exactly what the X-Ray revealed that rushed you right into another surgery.
Hope you start to feel better soon, that's a lot to go through in 2 week period.
Keep us posted.

This is truly unfortunate. I am so sorry, Betmer. :console2:I am certain you felt conflicted in hearing this news post op, but trusted your surgeon initially and felt there were no other options when he shared the news and his plan to resolve the issue.

I hope that you're communicating with your Primary Care Physician in regard to the anemia. In addition, there is no shame in working through this with a mental health professional for a short time, if need be. Obviously and understandably it's taken an emotional toll on you. If talking with family, trusted friends or even clergy doesn't bring the peace of mind you're hoping for, please know we're here for you. You can come here to vent anytime. There are many empathetic members that will care and respond with support and encouragement whenever you're in need.
Big hugs to you.
@Betmer

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, @Betmar. Having this surgery once is hard enough, but having to do it twice in such a short period time must truly be hard and it's understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed and depressed.

Please keep posting! Even if it's just to vent. We've all been through similar recoveries and are here to support you throughout your healing journey.

:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom