RTKR Oct 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnie's knees

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I finally got my surgery date today. Nervous :rolleyes: and excited :spin:at the same time as it is less than 3
weeks away. Not sure I am 100% ready for this but I am learning that my knee is in charge and my knee is ready. So here we go!

I had arthroscopic repair 5 1/2 years ago on my right knee and was told then that both knees were bone on bone even though I didn't have any pain before then. Many cortisone shots and oral meds later, my right knee will be first as it is the worst and then my left knee will be done in the next year or so.

I have been reading and posting for last few weeks and have learned so much from this forum.

Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be fine both of you. We got your backs!

@Minnie's knees @MercysPeace just keep researching and read recovery threads, you will get anxious but you will succeed I am nervous again for round two, but if you follow bone smart advice you will be golden. I wish you both a happy and wonderful recovery It will be exciting to see you on the other side and to be on the other side again

@madinana The anxiety started as soon as the nurse confirmed my date. I will try to use the nervous energy to get things done around the house and grocery shopping. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

@Minnie's knees and @MercysPeace Nervous is normal, but remember it is just a 'day at the office' for your OS and team. They know what they are doing! One thing you might want to consider, being winter TKRs, is some baggy legged pants for the colder weather. Baggy enough to allow for swelling. In the hospital they will be taking your bp a lot, so make sure what ever you wear there they can get to your arms. Maybe t shirts and keep a sweater handy. Hospitals can sometimes be chilly in the winter. They also need to have access to your knee and thigh. Try to exercise your legs before surgery to build up the muscle strength.

@tiredwife Thank you as I had not thought of it being just another day for my OS but so true. I don't feel so nervous about the actual surgery as much as the recovery period. Like so many others I am an impatient person. I bought 2 pair of Capri's that are t-shirt fabric and loose and a couple of short sleeved tee shirts. I am usually warm very warm natured but good reminder about the temp in hospitals. I still do a fair amount of walking but not any other exercises. Which is why I am fluffy (overweight) and need new knees. Hoping to lose more weight after surgery with being able to exercise more.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tiredwife and all here who are so compassionate.....thanks for all your advise. I have read articles, books, blogs, etc etc I have been preparing since Summer. Somehow I feel I still am not ready. I even signed up for healthy meal delivery at home (socialliving groupon deal) because i live alone. I don't want to burden my loved ones more than necessary

@MercysPeace I think being as prepared as we can both before and after the surgery will help the most. I have purchased a cane, shower stool, clothes for the hospital, new tennis shoes and have lists made of snacks, meals etc . We started fall cleaning this a weekend as I want an extra clean house while I am home. Will you go straight home or to a rehab facility?

@Minnie's knees Hubby said it didn't really sink in until he woke up and saw his bandaged knee and thought "What have I done". He is glad he had it done (except maybe the first week or so), I think you need to get yourself in the mindset that it is a long recovery. That way you won't be disappointed when it takes a while.

@MercysPeace If you live alone a rehab for a week will be great! The first little while you will need help (don't want to get stuck in a chair and can't get up!) and some of the exercises you may need help with the first week.

@MercysPeace That sounds like a good plan for reha being as you live alone. I will be going straight home. I will have more help than I need as hubby will be home 2 weeks and daughter and 2granddaughters live with us. Thankfully the are school age do I will have quiet during most of the day.

@tiredwife I am realizing just how long of a recovery it could be. Even my OS told me it would take up to 6 months. It feels a little intimidating on the pre op side to think about it taking 6 months. But on the recovery side I see the milestones as people are progressing. I am not a patient person so that will be my weakness.

@Minnie's knees The biggest problem with not being patient is that it leads to frustration and depression. Your doctor was not saying that it will take 6 months to be normal again, but it may be that long before you have your energy back, and before you start sleeping right again, and before you don't think about your knee all the time. Just don't go gung-ho thinking it will make it happen sooner, do it in steps. Step one is concentrating on getting the pain under control, step 2 is making sure you get rid of the swelling, step 3 is make sure you are walking properly (concentrate on how you are walking), step 4 exercises to increase ROM (discomfort is okay, pain is not). That is pretty much what we did with my husband. Look at it as things that need to be done before fully concentrating on the next thing. Celebrate the small accomplishment, notice the small accomplishments, concentrate on what you can do not what you can't do.

Nervous :rolleyes: and excited :spin:at the same time as it is less than 3
weeks away.
I think that that is wonderful---many of us, myself included, had to wait a 1/2 year or longer---"GET'R DONE!

The new date means less time to worry and to fret, and the new date also means that you will be getting on with your life that much sooner!

Even my OS told me it would take up to 6 months. It feels a little intimidating on the pre op side to think about it taking 6 months.

Recovery can tale longer than we think it should---some take upwards to a year to return to "normal."

My BTKR took me a tad over five months to lose a pesky little limp, and it was six months before I was at 80%-85%; at eight months I was 90%-95%.

All your OS is saying is that recovery may take some time and it will require patience on your part to understand that it may move slower than you think it should.

@tiredwife thank you for breaking that down. It makes more sense that way than just saying it will take 6 months total. I will work on being more patient :flwrysmile:

I will work on being more patient :flwrysmile:
This is, perhaps, one of the most challenging aspects of recovery---we want to move things along and have an urge to work harder---that the hard work will solve everything.

Just understand, please, that you will be, at times, probably frustrated at how slowly the recovery may be progressing---and that it is normal. Fight the urge, at all time, to work harder---and understand that "less is more"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom