• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR THR scheduled for April 10

raylo

Country
United States United States
Moving over from the knee side after my Sept 2023 TKR, it is time to do my right hip. It has been bothering me in some fashion for 10 years or so and I had one acute episode about 8 or 9 years ago where I limped around on it for 5 months. Back then I had X-rays and both hips looked similar with moderate arthritis, but still good gaps between the bones. I should have followed up some more to see if there was a labrum tear or whatever but it eventually got mostly better... although I have had to work a little extra hard to get a sock on that foot since. The hip doesn't like to rotate in and flex up at the same time. Plus, it always hurt when I walked but not enough for me to seek replacement, until now.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago it got really bad and I was unable to bear any weight on it at all. I had to use my knee surgery cane and even then could hardly walk. Since then it has gotten a little better but the new X-rays show it is bone on bone, so I am going to get 'er done since these things do not get better, only worse.

I am getting the anterior "minimally invasive" procedure... if you can ever imagine sawing bones to be minimal, LOL..., so hopefully there won't be too much down time before summer comes.

Welcome back to the beginning of a new adventure, Raylo!

Everyone says hips are easier but there's one thing for sure: either one will eventually land you in the ODIC!

You know we will be here waiting for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries.

LOL... yes! I am already in the pre-surgery ODIC. My hip has gotten a little better so that I can at least walk a little without the cane, limping around. So I did a 1.5 mile walk around noon time. Now I am going down to what we cyclists call the pain cave (indoor bike and trainer room) for a spin. I will do as much as I can before April 10 unless and until it aggravates the hip too much.

Welcome back to the beginning of a new adventure, Raylo!

Everyone says hips are easier but there's one thing for sure: either one will eventually land you in the ODIC!

You know we will be here waiting for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries.

Greetings fellow traveler! I am also a transplant from the knee side of things. It's great you were able to get a surgery date so quickly!

I made my surgery appointment several weeks ago, just now posting it here. Good luck to you, too.

Greetings fellow traveler! I am also a transplant from the knee side of things. It's great you were able to get a surgery date so quickly!

Last edited:
I am getting the anterior "minimally invasive" procedure... if you can ever imagine sawing bones to be minimal, LOL..., so hopefully there won't be too much down time before summer comes.
Don't know where the minimally invasive marketing came from to sell people on THR's. The operation is the same more or less no matter the approach, the incision is just in a different place and they rotate your femur in a different direction. Read plenty of the info on this site and have a realistic idea of recovery time.

If equal to or less than the knee rehab I'll be a happy camper. So, I am hoping to be able to walk around indoors a bit and ride my indoor bike in a couple of weeks, and then gradually move to longer outdoor walks. I haven't discussed it with the doc yet but I suspect outdoor cycling will need to wait at least 3 months to give the implant fixings time to reach full strength, as was the case for the knee.

Don't know where the minimally invasive marketing came from to sell people on THR's. The operation is the same more or less no matter the approach, the incision is just in a different place and they rotate your femur in a different direction. Read plenty of the info on this site and have a realistic idea of recovery time.

Implant strength is important but the healing of the muscle trauma is the main part of THR recovery. The dislocation of the hip joint is pretty traumatic, do some research on hip capsule and possibility of dislocation. Read the recovery guidelines. Learn about icing and have your icing materials ahead of time.

I just received my surgeon's post procedure wound care instructions. My knee TKR incision last Sept was sealed with staples and had a waterproof dressing so I could shower the day after. The hip doc apparently does not use staples but some other methods of closing it up like subcutaneous dissolvable stitches and glue to seal the surface... which sounds fine... but it doesn't get a waterproof dressing, so showering is prohibited for a week! Yikes. I understand that docs have different protocols but I was wondering if there is something specific about hip surgery that precludes the waterproof bandage protocol? I can already see me working out a way to make a plastic splash shield to tape onto my waist to allow me to shower sooner. Like back in the day after ACL surgery I'd tape a plastic garbage bag on my leg. LOL.

does not use staples but some other methods of closing it up like subcutaneous dissolvable stitches and glue to seal the surface... which sounds fine... it doesn't get a waterproof dressing, so showering is prohibited for a week
It's not just for hip. My surgeon used this closing method for both of my knees as well as my hip. He prefers them because he says the incisions heal better.

The hospital sent me home with a packet of the large body wipes they use so I could give myself simple "sponge" baths those first few days. Honestly, I was so exhausted from the surgery and sleepy from the meds that I didn't even think about showering!

Interesting. But I wonder why I couldn't just put a waterproof Tegaderm patch over the dressing and shower?? I will ask them that question. It was nice to be able to shower after the knee, but I waited until day 2 post-op because of being tired.

My incision had a glued on clear tape, no staples or stitches. I showered the day after I got home and every day trying to get that tape to fall off, never did.

We finally got a nice sunny spring day here after weeks of rain and unseasonably cool temps. So I got out for a one mile walk/limp, just carrying my cane in case. I am really looking forward to being able to do this with less or even no pain in the not too distant future.

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Will be watching for your first update on the healing side.
Hope to see you there soon! :wave:
@raylo

I wish I could say I was looking forward to it. I almost wish they could put us in an induced coma for 2 weeks so we could fast forward past that part. ;-)

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Will be watching for your first update on the healing side.
Hope to see you there soon! :wave:
@raylo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member