• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Trailrunner's recovery

Hi @trailrunner! We had our surgery on the same day! I'm also apparently a member of the ODIC although I thought I was being pretty careful not to do that. Last week this time I was basically pain free and gradually upping my activity level. After walking outside for about 15 minutes on Sunday, I had been having pretty unremitting pain in my hip joint and down my thigh. So it's back to resting, even more icing, and fingers crossed that this improves soon. I am limping pretty much all the time, so I'm asking my husband to pick me up a cane today.

I'm a very active person and this forced inactivity is not fun!

Yes, last week I also had a bad day when I overdid it. Like you, it was my upper thigh and hip joint that was sore, and it was as bad as the pain I felt the first week. I rested for a day, iced it a lot, and took some extra anti inflammatories, and I felt better. Since then, any soreness I have has moved around to different parts of my leg. One day it was the back of my leg, one day it was my groin, and so on. I sort of take that as a positive sign that different muscles or tissue are healing or getting reactivated or whatever.

I have found that the cane is very useful and a great way to transition away from the walker. My next milestone will be to walk a mile today with my cane. If I'm not feeling it, I have a way to shorten my route. If that goes well, tomorrow I will try a very short walk outside without my cane. I'm trying to incrementally increase what I can do.

I was very active also, but my hip had really been limiting me over the past year or so. Now I'm just looking forward to all the things I'll be able to do once I'm fully recovered.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Good luck with your walk. I recall my first mile walk with cane in the first week which was probably far too soon, and I paid for it. You should be in a pretty good timeframe to take it on. The hardest thing for me with these recoveries for me is that I don't have sufficient pain or discomfort in the doing, but if I have overdone something it is only evident later or even the next day or 2. So, trying to decide what and how much to do is a challenge. It is still a challenge for me even at 5 weeks. I, too, have had the pain move around some, but not yet to the back of my leg. Maybe there is still time for that? ;-). Keep on truckin'...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom