TKR Eeek’s recovery thread.

Being careful and taking things slowly really pay off for lots of us. I did the same, and for most of my recovery had only some manageable pain that became less and less as the weeks passed. I think keeping on top of pain and not doing things that create severe pain in the first place creates a really good healing situation for the knee. Sounds like you’re doing really well!

German is a great language. I never knew, though, that it had no word for “ache.” Now that I think about it, though... my Mom is German. I don’t think she knows what an ache is. After she had TKRs, she never even admitted to being in pain!

What a wonderful report. Sleep is so important. I'm usually able to sleep full nights, have from about the beginning. I really think that is one reason why my recovery is going well. I don't remember having much of a brain fog either, except for the first few days from all the meds.

My living area is downstairs so I've dealt with them from the first day home. So great for helping with your recovery. Take care and watch your balance!! And it's so great that you are already planning having 2 good knees. How exciting!

Instead of an ache, you can say dumpfer Schmerz for dull pain.

So, I took a shower before PT and my waterproof bandage failed. Water got into it and it got all gooey. And itchy and irritated. Fortunately, I was able to stop by ortho and one of the junior docs cleaned and rebandaged the incision. Will have to be careful for the next day and a half.

I'm glad you were able to have your wound re-dressed. Leaving it all soggy and wet would not have been good.

Sounds like everything is going great. I had my staples out on Monday. I can report that it is so much more comfortable with them out!

@Eeek it is very interesting how after surgery showers done. As long as I had no drainage I could shower with staples still in, with no dressings. Very interesting how post op care varies!

So I went to have my staples removed. My GP removed half and wanted to wait for the rest to heal a bit more, so I go back Tuesday. That’s fine. And I have a new lovely waterproof bandage and a spare.

My GP was also happy to hear that I stopped the voltaren. I’m actually going to cut the paracetamol starting tonight. I don’t have much pain, just a little swelling and some stiffness. But cold water helps that a lot.

I did the small flight of stairs up to the doctor’s office easily with my crutches.

I can drive when I feel like it....my car is an automatic, and it’s my left knee (left hand drive). I think i’ll Wait a week or so though.....I still feel too tired.

You’ll feel that energy drain for a few months. At not yet a month post op, your body needs a lot of sleep as it works hard to heal from the surgery. I napped off and on the first month after my TKR and I’m not typically a napper at all.

I think the energy drain is what surprised me most. I slept a lot during my first month of recovery, and pretty much napped and watched a lot of mindless TV through the second. No pep in my step, and not just because of stiff knees!

I love to nap. Today is the first day I did not. I’m so glad I got my recliner too.....I can nap in that, crochet, watch TV, whatever.

It takes a lot of energy to regenerate new cells, it seems.

@KarriB -you‘re in the ‘burg? That’s where I grew up, and went to grad school at both Pitt and CMU.

I am looking forward to some traveling over the summer. And in month or two, walking the dog.

@KarriB - i’m from the eastern suburbs, but have family in Butler.

Both links were really interesting, thanks. I went to PT twice last week and was so tired afterward. After yesterday’s trip to the doctor, not as tired. But the energy drain is real.

Healing is a full time job.

I’m not even going to attempt dog walking till April.

Hi Eeek,
Glad you got your staples out. Fatigue and tiredness are a major thing when getting over knee replacement surgery. I am 2 weeks and 4 days post operation,and today I feel particularly tired.
I have found out that next Friday 16th March, I am having my ADCF neck surgery. This wasn’t planned at all. I was told next January 2019. I am going to be able to rest up with both operations at the same time.
Crazy I know.
X

@LuluArchie - good luck with your surgery! Hope it goes well.

Yeah, I have my ups and downs. And only half of my staples are out.... the other half come out on Tuesday.

You’re wise to hold off until April and give your knee more time to heal. I’m sure the weather is an issue at this time also.

@KarriB - we live at a lower elevation. Very little winter to speak of this year. It’s rather springy.

Now I have an unrelated issue. Seem to have lost a filling out of a back tooth. Do I have to wait till I’m off the anti-thrombosis agent to have it fixed? Will check with various docs and dentists on Monday.

How long are you on blood thinners? I think I was on them for 2-3 weeks.

@KarriB - 6 weeks. I have an extra risk due to weight, i suppose and the fact I‘ve had chemo in the past. Since chemo, I have a shot (faxaparine?) before any flight longer than 6 hours.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom