TKR LuluArchie recovery 2nd TKR

LuluArchie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well hello everyone,
I have made it at last, I now having a matching pair of Conformis knee replacements. This surgery has gone very well today. I am in very little discomfort due to excellent pain management from my carers. I can bend my knee quite comfortably and have started my heal slides.
My blood pressure earlier today was a bit up and down, but it has now just been checked and I’m happy to report all has settled down nicely.
I have dozed tonight and not fallen asleep, this is the same as last time, but I am resting, so that is the main thing. I got out of bed for about five minuets but that was enough.
I am very happy that it has gone well.

Welcome to the other side again! Glad that pain is being managed - you are off to a good start!

I'll leave your recovery articles here in case you need to review them.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome back, @LuluArchie! You’re off on the final part of your journey to two fully functional knees (Yay!). You know the itinerary. Many interesting stops along the way, but you’ll get there.

Thank you @SusieShoes, yes all done now.
I am up and about today. Sitting in the chair I already have a 90 degree bend. This knee is so much better than my left. I am taking it easy and not being too brave when it comes to pain relief. I’m very lucky I am being looked after very well.

Don’t be brave when it comes to pain relief; be smart. Smart is better than brave. Less painful, too! :wink:

Pain relief also means better healing! You've got this!

Day one:

Had a very good day today . Making good use of the numbness still in my knee. I managed to sit in my upright chair and bend my knee without any pain or discomfort to 100 degrees. This leg is so so much different from my left knee.

Day two: it’s 4.15am in Blighty. Just woken up in a lot of pain after some Oralmorph and an ice pack, I am going to read for a bit . Hopefully it will send me back to very soon.

On wards and upwards, I know the drill.

This is all great news. So good to hear for me (mine is tomorrow).

Rest! Take care!

Onward and upwards for sure! You’re doing great. Keep in mind that slow and steady wins this race. You’re getting to the finish line at your own speed, on your own power. Your knee is setting the pace.

Welcome to your recovery! I pray today goes well for you. Slow and easy wins a great recovery!

Patience is the key. It’s hard to wait, but you’ll be happier in the end. Hugs...

Thank you @SusieShoes and @Beccadeez and @Sistersinhimand@ Eeek you are all so kind.

Today hadn’t been too bad. I went to physio twice , this was only for 15 minutes . Then the rest of the day I rested on my bed. I should be going home tomorrow, but it depends on my blood pressure as it has been very low.

I hope you have all been as well as can be expected.
Good night.
Xx

Last edited:
I hope you can go home tomorrow. As Dorothy said, "There's no place like home!" Just don't overdo. It is so easy to do just that. Then the knee will swell and hurt you like crazy. It's not worth it! Those of us who have done it, know that's a fact!

You will feel better at home. Just being in familiar surroundings and with your own stuff makes a difference. Things will be quieter, too.

Hi everyone,
I came home on Friday afternoon. It’s so good to be home, as you say @SusieShoes, it’s quieter and I have all my own things. I slept well last night. I woke up at 3 am for pain relief, read for a little and then drifted off to sleep. I feel totally different with this knee , much more relaxed and in control.

Your left knee taught you how much in control you really are. :yes: The knee may be in charge but you control everything about your (and its) environment.

You have the power. :thumb:

Welcome home! It's the best place for you. You know what do you, and you'll be fine!

Hi everyone,
I can’t believe that it’s a week ago today that I had my new knee. I am doing very well this time, I’m not as anxious and basically taking everything in my stride. Next week the clips come out and I see my Consultant on the 3/04/18.

Hopefully all will continue to do well .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exercise76
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom